nockless

USB devices not recognized on startup

Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:21 pm

I recently purchased a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ from Amazon. The problem I am having is that I cannot get the mouse and keyboard to respond.

Following the install guide, I downloaded NOOBS V3.0.1 and installed it onto a micro sd formatted via SD Card Formatter. When I hook everything up and provide power, I first see a rainbow screen, followed by a black screen with some code, then a screen prompting me to select "Raspbian Full" or "LibreELEC_RPi2".

The problem is that I cannot get my mouse and keyboard to respond.

While I am not using the offical power supply, I do have a 5V 2.1 amp supply I am using. Furthermore, there is enough power for the HDMI connection to work so this does not seem like the issue.

So far I have tried three different mice (2 wired - one not) and a single keyboard (wireless). The wired mice both have indicator lights that normally light up when the computer is on, but the lights don't illuminate when connected to the pi.

Is there anything else I can try to resolve this issue? At what point can I attribute the issue to faulty USB ports (yes, I tried all 4) or some connection to them and return the pi?

LTolledo

Re: USB devices not recognized on startup

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:02 am

RPi3B+: .....need more power .....please.... cant ...function...........properly

2.1A PSU: I can only give as much.... and my voltage is dropping already....

RPi3B+: ...not ..... enough...(cough...cough).... need ... more........

2.1A PSU: maybe you need my 3.0A big bro's help.......

RPi3B+: ....take ...me .....(cough... cough) there .....[wheezes]...... now.......
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Andyroo

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:31 am

In other words you are short on power :lol: it’s most likely voltage issues.

Swap to the official power supply as the first step.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

nockless

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:53 am

Haha thanks for the responses. I was hoping that because the HDMI connection was powered without issue, the power supply was sufficient.

I will order the official power supply and report back here in case anyone else comes across this issue.

nockless

Thu May 09, 2019 12:12 am

So I ordered the official power supply and received it today from micro center. There is still no response from either the mice nor keyboard. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

W. H. Heydt

Thu May 09, 2019 12:39 am

Okay... In spite of what was stated, a Pi3B+ with nothing but a basic keyboard, mouse, and monitor connected should run on 2A. Of the specification of 2.5A, 1.2A goes to USB devices. The HDMI port is limited to about 50mA, so that doesn't tell you anything.

Now that said, a 2.1A charger may not actually deliver 2A at 5v. As the load ramps up, the voltage is likely to drop below what the Pi requires. Plus, the USB cable connecting the charger to the Pi may have very thin wires that won't allow enough current to flow without dropping the voltage to below and acceptable level. However, given that you don't report a "lightning bolt" icon on the screen, it's likely that the voltage is holding up okay.

Rather more fundamental here is that NOOBS is not actually an OS. It is a limited installer program. I wouldn't want to count on it to be able to find anything connected wirelessly, especially through BT.

Advice...especially now that you have an RPF PSU (so low voltage and inadequate current isn't going to an issue), connect a wired keyboard and wired mouse and try again. Alternatively, install the OS you want to use (I'd suggest Raspbian) directly on the SD card.

nockless

Thu May 09, 2019 1:01 am

Thanks. I'll try some wired keyboards / mice I can find at work. The wired one I have here is old, so maybe that is why I couldn't get it to work.

If not, I'm sure I can find a tutorial simple enough for me to follow to install Raspbian.

As always, thanks for the help and I'll report back with the results.

nockless

Fri May 17, 2019 1:30 am

I was able to install Raspbian without a problem. The Pi booted to the desktop and the mouse and keyboard were still unresponsive. By mouse and keyboard here, I mean both were wired ones I had borrowed from work.

There were 4 days left on the warranty through Amazon so I called them up and got the refund taken care of. As a side note, an possible root cause, the Pi I received from Amazon was not in a static bag.

I'm not sure if there's a better source to purchase a new Pi from other than Amazon. If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know.

Thanks for all the help!

LTolledo

Fri May 17, 2019 2:58 am

The USB chip could have been defective from the start....

better have it replaced as soon as you can....

I received my RPi3B+ without any anti-static bags (unlike the RPi3B), from Amazon and directly from another company (but has a store in Amazon). No problems so far.....been lucky I guess.... ;)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

rpdom

Fri May 17, 2019 4:45 am

nockless wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:30 am
As a side note, an possible root cause, the Pi I received from Amazon was not in a static bag.
The Pi 3B+ is packaged with anti-static card so it doesn't need a bag.

sushant_ocv

Tue May 21, 2019 8:57 am

Just now I fixed the same problem for my USB drive and was able to get rid of that by Uninstalling the drivers and restart the computer.
See this link : USB Device Not Recognized

nockless

Sat May 25, 2019 12:49 am

I think we were all in agreement about the issue. But just to close this out: I got my new replacement pi from Amazaon today. I plugged in the same formatted micro sd card, keyboard, and mouse as before. Without issue, the mouse and keyboard were responsive on start-up.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

Return to “Beginners”