it-tuning

Chromium- or Chrome-Browser on LibreElec with "ARM"

Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:52 am

Hi there,

is there any possibility to install an Chrome or Chromium-Browser on an RPI3B+ and LibreElec with Kodi?
I have found several opinions and ways to install on LibreElec and Kodi but not in connection with an RPI3B+.

Some people say its not possible cause the Chromium and Chrome-Browser is only available for x86-architectures.
But the normal "Google" Chrome-Browser for example on Windows OS is available also for x64-architectures.
Why then isn't a possibility to install x64 Chrome on RPI3B+ with LibreElec and Kodi?

And are there any plans about to make it available for it?

It would be very nice to have any Browser on Kodi, when you use it in your car. So you dont have to switch SD-Cards
any time.

I'm glad about your answers.

Regards,

Sascha K.

rpdom

Re: Chromium- or Chrome-Browser on LibreElec with "ARM"

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:13 am

it-tuning wrote:
Why then isn't a possibility to install x64 Chrome on RPI3B+
Because RPi 3B+ is ARM 64, not x64 which is for Intel/AMD CPUs.

In most cases it is being used in ARM 32 mode anyway.

There is a Chromium browser in Raspbian, so there is definitely an ARM 32 (armhf) version. It may be available in LibreElec, I don't know what OS that is based on.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:17 am

it-tuning wrote:
Hi there,

is there any possibility to install an Chrome or Chromium-Browser on an RPI3B+ and LibreElec with Kodi?
I have found several opinions and ways to install on LibreElec and Kodi but not in connection with an RPI3B+.

Some people say its not possible cause the Chromium and Chrome-Browser is only available for x86-architectures.
But the normal "Google" Chrome-Browser for example on Windows OS is available also for x64-architectures.
Why then isn't a possibility to install x64 Chrome on RPI3B+ with LibreElec and Kodi?

And are there any plans about to make it available for it?

It would be very nice to have any Browser on Kodi, when you use it in your car. So you dont have to switch SD-Cards
any time.

I'm glad about your answers.

Regards,

Sascha K.

LibreElec is a kodi-centric Operating System and does NOT have the capability to install a web browser.

The best option is to run Raspbian Stretch with Desktop and then after fully updating install Kodi software package from the repositories.
Retired disgracefully.....

it-tuning

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:21 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:17 am
LibreElec is a kodi-centric Operating System and does have the capability to install a web browser.

The best option is to run Raspbian Stretch with Desktop and then after fully updating install Kodi software package from the repositories.
Thanks for that.
What about performance issues when running both OS or how is it done?
Can you choose which OS you want to boot while startup?

topguy

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:23 am

We have Chromium for Raspbian so of course we know there is a working ARM version of chromium.
Can the Chromium from Raspbian be installed on LibreElec ? I dont know exactly how LibreElec builds their operating system, but I would think there might be too much differences for it to be easy to do.

Alternatives:
- Find an alternative Kodi distribtion that uses Raspbian as a base OS. I think maybe OSMC did this, but not at all sure.
- Install Kodi on Raspbian.

it-tuning

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:24 am

rpdom wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:13 am
Because RPi 3B+ is ARM 64, not x64 which is for Intel/AMD CPUs.

In most cases it is being used in ARM 32 mode anyway.

There is a Chromium browser in Raspbian, so there is definitely an ARM 32 (armhf) version. It may be available in LibreElec, I don't know what OS that is based on.
Is there an architectural difference between ARM64 and x64? --> edit: self answered! Yes, there are many architectural differences!
The Chromium-Browser and Chrome is available for LibreELEC but not in connection with RPI.
Last edited by it-tuning on Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

it-tuning

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:25 am

topguy wrote:
We have Chromium for Raspbian so of course we know there is a working ARM version of chromium.
Can the Chromium from Raspbian be installed on LibreElec ? I dont know exactly how LibreElec builds their operating system, but I would think there might be too much differences for it to be easy to do.

Alternatives:
- Find an alternative Kodi distribtion that uses Raspbian as a base OS. I think maybe OSMC did this, but not at all sure.
Thanks for that. But what about my "Car-PC", everytime i start my engine the RPI will start automatically. When i want to use
Kodi on Raspbian i have to wait longer to bootup Kodi than booting Kodi on Libreelec.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:45 am

it-tuning wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:25 am
topguy wrote:

Alternatives:
Thanks for that. But what about my "Car-PC", everytime i start my engine the RPI will start automatically. When i want to use
Kodi on Raspbian i have to wait longer to bootup Kodi than booting Kodi on Libreelec.

Trying to answer the various responses, in a nutshell.....

A Raspberry Pi needs a safe shutdown, just pulling the power will corrupt whatever Operating System you chose to run.

IF you run Raspbian Stretch with Desktop you launch Kodi like you would any other software.

IF you run LibreElec it boots straight into Kodi and hence has no means to install chromium-browser.

An alternative would be to investigate if OSMC can meet your requirement:

https://osmc.tv

https://discourse.osmc.tv/search?contex ... ntext=true
Retired disgracefully.....

it-tuning

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:27 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
A Raspberry Pi needs a safe shutdown, just pulling the power will corrupt whatever Operating System you chose to run.
Therefore planned a 5V-USV, which you can get at amazon for example.
fruitoftheloom wrote:
IF you run Raspbian Stretch with Desktop you launch Kodi like you would any other software.
Okay, its sad but i guessed that.
fruitoftheloom wrote:
IF you run LibreElec it boots straight into Kodi and hence has no means to install chromium-browser.
Actually. Hopefull in future.
fruitoftheloom wrote:
An alternative would be to investigate if OSMC can meet your requirement:

https://osmc.tv

https://discourse.osmc.tv/search?contex ... ntext=true
Thanks, i will read about it!

it-tuning

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:45 pm

Well folks, i found anything more about it. For all who have the same question:
https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/14235 ... /?pageNo=1

Rascas

Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:58 pm

I don't think you can install chromium browser on LibreELEC.

But you can install Kodi and Chromium browser on Raspbian, and make it autostart directly to Kodi, there is many different ways of doing this, check this:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=192499

it-tuning

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:43 am

Rascas wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:58 pm
I don't think you can install chromium browser on LibreELEC.

But you can install Kodi and Chromium browser on Raspbian, and make it autostart directly to Kodi, there is many different ways of doing this, check this:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=192499
Well, i think it's the best solution for my requirements but it will sure need more time to bootup.

Return to “Beginners”