YanKleber

How to extend the board in/outs to the rear of a big case?

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:07 am

Hi!

I am at the design time of a new project that is going to be a console with a more or less big case (around 16" wide). I need to place the USB, HDMI and audio connectors in specific spots of the rear of the case.

I would like to know what's the best approach to "extend" the RP connectors. I thought on look in the market for small cables (it would be the obvious solution) but before to go out and reinvent the wheel I would like to know if there are smarter and simpler ideas.

:)

Thanks!

topguy

Re: How to extend the board in/outs to the rear of a big case?

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:22 am

You could check how case-modders like Ben Heck and "The 8-bit guy" solves it on Youtube.
But I think they use short extention cables mostly, there are no "aternative" places to take these signals from on the Pi AFAIK.

hippy

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:52 pm

Putting any Pi in a 'big case', wanting connections all to a back panel, are things which the Pi isn't particularly suited to.

It is possible to present one edge of the Pi board to the back panel which can reduce the number of remaining connections which then need to be made and short extension cables can be used for the rest, which is probably your best option.

The 'professional approach' would be to base your design around a Compute Module and build your own base board PCB which routed to connectors where you wanted them, which is the approach taken by the Pi Slice media player and probably others.

fbe

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:02 pm

YanKleber wrote:
I need to place the USB, HDMI and audio connectors in specific spots of the rear of the case.
Don't forget the SD card slot.

PhatFil

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:54 pm

you can buy usb and hdmi mini extension (m/f) leads with 'panel mount sockets'

ebay aliexpress etc are good places to search at least with a big box you can wrap the extra cable around the edge :)

mooblie

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:39 pm

fbe wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:02 pm
YanKleber wrote:
I need to place the USB, HDMI and audio connectors in specific spots of the rear of the case.
Don't forget the SD card slot.
There are microSD card sockets extenders too:
https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/ac ... sion-cable
..although the socket end is not panel mountable, meaning fixing it somewhere is problematical.

When I have mounted the Pi in a large case, I have just cut a square hole in the case base in front of the existing SD card slot on the Pi, to feed/remove a card. I put a Sellotape pull-tab on my microSD cards. (Other brands of sticky tape are available! :D )

Luckily, it is not often necessary to change the card in a fixed project/application (as I assume this is?)

YanKleber

Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:59 pm

I would like to thank you all for your answers!

@PhatFil and @Mooblie you nailed it!

:D

Return to “Beginners”