fagus

piCorePlayer - squeezelite is not running

Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:05 pm

Hello

I 'm trying for days now to find a solution for a problem I ran into with piCorePlayer (4.0.0) and Raspberry pi (raspberry pi 3 model B V1.2) with a hifiberry dac+ .

It ran smoothly for a few days, but then it stopped working. Picoreplayer displays the message "Squeezelite is not running". I tried several fresh installs of pCP on the pi, installed it on another pi, disabled my firewall, tried older versions of pCP, bought a new microSD ... but nothing seems work.

My pi is connected with eth0 to my network. My LMS server is on the same network; it uses wifi. But all this was the same when it still worked.

Can someone help me? I would be really grateful!

Thanks a lot!

fagus

epoch1970

Re: piCorePlayer - squeezelite is not running

Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:59 pm

There is a lot of reasons why it could stop running but if it fails straight out of factory something is wrong with the Pi/Hat, the network (you have a firewall inside your LAN?) or config.txt/cmdline.txt.

In the picoreplayer web interface there is a diagnostics button somewhere, or an "advanced mode" tab. From there you can see a lot of system logs, reason for failure should appear somewhere.
You can also ssh to the machine and look at "dmesg" or see if there is something in /var/log/. To login, "ssh tc@<player name>.local" should work, default password is piCore.

Otherwise, visit the pCP support thread.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Paul Webster

Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:48 am

Audio card dislodged?
Does it appear in the dmesg output?
Check to see which devices Squeezelite can see.

fagus

Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:55 pm

output dmesg:

Code: Select all

tc@piCorePlayer:~$ dmesg | grep hifiberry
[    8.498265] snd-rpi-hifiberry-dacplus soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI pcm512x-hifi not registered - will retry
[    8.517771] snd-rpi-hifiberry-dacplus soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI pcm512x-hifi not registered - will retry
(another strange thing I think is

tc@piCorePlayer:~$ aplay -l
aplay: device_list:268: no soundcards found...
)

Thanx!

epoch1970

Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:26 pm

So at least the HAT doesn't look to be totally toast, and you know why squeezelite doesn't start.
Do you get anything listed/any sound output if you configure analog audio as the output card?
IIRC analog audio is not enabled by default.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

fagus

Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:44 pm

Okay if I select analog audio as output card, the above commands 's output are:

tc@piCorePlayer:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
  Subdevices: 6/7
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1

tc@piCorePlayer:~$ dmesg | grep hifiberry
[    8.339938] snd-rpi-hifiberry-dacplus soc:sound: ASoC: CPU DAI (null) not registered - will retry
[    8.349489] snd-rpi-hifiberry-dacplus soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI pcm512x-hifi not registered - will retry
[    8.374925] snd-rpi-hifiberry-dacplus soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI pcm512x-hifi not registered - will retry
Thank you

Greg Erskine

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:09 pm

hi fagus,

piCorePlayer manually loads the appropriate overlay and sets up default values for squeezelite when you select "Audio output device settings".

HOWEVER, often HATS have eeproms that tell the RPi what it is and what overlay to automatically load. I believe that is what you are seeing. You have "Audio output device settings" set to "Analog audio" so piCorePlayer is not trying to load any HiFiBerry overlay, but the RPi has read the eeprom and trying to load snd-rpi-hifiberry-dacplus (unsuccessfully).

One would assume that the appropriate overlay is available because you said it originally worked OK.

So check your sound card is properly seated. It must be at least partially seated because the RPi is reading the eeprom OK.

You are looking for:

1. dmesg to say it added the card sucessfully.
2. aplay -l should show card 1 being the HiFiBerry

regards
Greg
* Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation

Greg Erskine

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:33 pm

I just found my HiFiBerry DAC+ :)

Set "Audio output device settings" to "HiFiBerry DAC+ (and Pro, AMP2)" on RPi3B+ with pCP4.1.0

Successful messages follow:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
  Subdevices: 7/7
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus], device 0: HiFiBerry DAC+ HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0 []
  Subdevices: 0/1

[    7.716625] snd-rpi-hifiberry-dacplus soc:sound: ASoC: CPU DAI (null) not registered - will retry
[    7.717167] snd-rpi-hifiberry-dacplus soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI pcm512x-hifi not registered - will retry
[    7.825997] snd-rpi-hifiberry-dacplus soc:sound: pcm512x-hifi <-> 3f203000.i2s mapping ok
Mine does have an eeprom but it doesn't appear to automatically try and load the HiFiBerry overlay like your's appears to do. :?:
* Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation

Return to “Beginners”