DuBBox

GPIO pulse in nanoseconds

Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:38 pm

Hey,
I try to interact with a TLC5940 via C. I use Rapsbian as OS and I am not sure how I can realize something like

pulse(int nanoseconds){
setPinOutHigh
sleep(nanoseconds)
setPinOutLow
sleep(nanoseconds)
}

The timing diagram requires for example a period of at least 3ns for some signals. So is nanosleep() the way to go, even if it may take länger. Or is there a more consistent way to interact with so precise Timing?

Idahowalker

Re: GPIO pulse in nanoseconds

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:59 pm

DuBBox wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:38 pm
Hey,
I try to interact with a TLC5940 via C. I use Rapsbian as OS and I am not sure how I can realize something like

pulse(int nanoseconds){
setPinOutHigh
sleep(nanoseconds)
setPinOutLow
sleep(nanoseconds)
}

The timing diagram requires for example a period of at least 3ns for some signals. So is nanosleep() the way to go, even if it may take länger. Or is there a more consistent way to interact with so precise Timing?
Which data sheet are you referring to? When I look at the data sheet http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tlc5940.pdf... Never mind. If a 16Mhz 8 bit Arduino can run one of these devices then the RPI can as well.

A simple search with your favorite search enginge using the words " +c TLC5940 library" will give you a number of results you can view to see how 'they' did it.

But if you really really need to generate a 3nS pulse use a ESP32 and the internal hardware timer.
Without knowing why you are deleting my postings, I will not know how...

DuBBox

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:21 pm

Thank you for your quick response!

I took a closer look to https://github.com/lrvdijk/tlc5940-raspberry but here, I may miss something, is no sleep or something similar used.

The pulse just works like

pulse(){
setPinOutHigh
setPinOutLow
}

No sleeps are used.

My current implementation is not working and my guess was, that my pulse method is simply "too fast".
I am very new to all those "hardware"-things, I did also not see any implementation AVR/Arduino which used sleep for a pulse method, https://sites.google.com/site/artcfox/d ... he-tlc5940 also does not mention it in the code. I used this and translated it to the usage for a raspberry pi using wiringPi.

**The reason for the idea of using a sleep is because http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tlc5940.pdf 6.3, but I may get something wrong here? There are some times listed, which are needed to accept a signal. Since the Pi could propably be faster? I thought I may need to reglement this.

The method I am cycling is

Code: Select all

//
void TLC5940_SetGS_And_GS_PWM(void) {
    uint8_t firstCycleFlag = 0;
    if (outputState(VPRG_PIN)) {
        setLow(VPRG_PIN);
        firstCycleFlag = 1;
    }
    uint16_t GSCLK_Counter = 0;
    uint8_t Data_Counter = 0;
    setLow(BLANK_PIN);
    for (;;) {
        if (GSCLK_Counter > 4095) {
            setHigh(BLANK_PIN);
            pulse(XLAT_PIN);
            if (firstCycleFlag) {
                pulse(SCLK_PIN);
                firstCycleFlag = 0;
            }
            break;
        } else {
            if (!(Data_Counter > TLC5940_N * 192 - 1)) {
                if (gsData[Data_Counter])
                    setHigh(SIN_PIN);
                else
                    setLow(SIN_PIN);
                pulse(SCLK_PIN);
                Data_Counter++;
            }
        }
        pulse(GSCLK_PIN);
        GSCLK_Counter++;
    }
}

rzusman

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:44 pm

I’d be willing to bet that it’s impossible to generate a pulse that’s narrower than 3nS with a user-space program on the Pi.
Even at 1.4 GHz, that’s only around 4.2 clocks, and there’s going to be way more cycles than that with the function call overhead.

DuBBox

Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:02 pm

@rzusman

That is what I thought, so the problem is not the implementation of pulse I guess?

rzusman

Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:06 pm

Have you ‘scoped the output? That’s the only way to be sure of the pulse rise time, width, and fall time.

Idahowalker

Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:08 pm

At that frequency the latency of the code to change the state of the GPIO pin and the overhead of other taskings should be sufficient delay. I've only ran a GPIO interrupt at 400kHz using Python. The only code in the ISR was an evet trigger, to some code being run on another core and I used semaphores to control traffic.

I, using a Arduino DUE (80MHz) send interrupts to the RPI by setting changing state, without any time delay between state changes. The RPi has no problem with handeling such state changes.

I do not use sleep as a matter of course, that sleep suspends operations is, by me, unacceptable. In your case, if you really really feel you need a delay send out two successive setPinOutHigh and allow code latency to be your delay.
Without knowing why you are deleting my postings, I will not know how...

drgeoff

Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:55 pm

rzusman wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:06 pm
Have you ‘scoped the output? That’s the only way to be sure of the pulse rise time, width, and fall time.
You'll need a good 'scope to get anywhere near seeing the true shape of a 3 nS pulse.

Return to “Beginners”