52midnight

UK characters appear when setting up Evolution

Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:01 am

I've just re-installed Rpi Raspbian for the third time (checking things out) and deliberately left the 'locale' setting in 'raspbi-config' untouched (past experience).

I'm now trying to install Evolution, and when I enter my email address I get a UK substitute for the @ sign, which makes further progress impossible. The hash key ( # ) prints the pound sign (old Latin 'L') and other substitutions occur.

Where and why is this happening?

itimpi

Re: UK characters appear when setting up Evolution

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:08 am

i am puzzled - you seem to be saying that you have left the locale at the default of UK and then are surprised when you get UK keyboard mapping? If you want a US keyboard mapping you need to set that.

52midnight

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:16 pm

Ah, OK, didn't realize that the default was UK, since the kbd default seems to be 105 key which (in my experience) has a hash sign as a shifted three rather than the UK 'L' pound sign. Also, I've never seen any mention of this in the docn, so I assumed the US default as is usual.

Thanks; will try changing it.

itimpi

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:09 pm

52midnight wrote:Ah, OK, didn't realize that the default was UK, since the kbd default seems to be 105 key which (in my experience) has a hash sign as a shifted three rather than the UK 'L' pound sign. Also, I've never seen any mention of this in the docn, so I assumed the US default as is usual.

Thanks; will try changing it.
It is a UK product after all :)

The standard signs of a UK keyboard are the @ and " being swapped over and shift-3 being pound. On all my UK keyboards their is also a ~/# key on the right alongside the +/= key, another thing that often seems to be missing from the US layout.

52midnight

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Yep, and good on the Poms - it's great product. Here in Oz we seldom see anything other than a US kbd, so it's not an issue I've had much experience with - likewise others, I'd guess. I'm putting together an Rpi subsite for my website, so I'm asking a few 'stupid' questions to make sure my assumptions are correct (bad karma to mislead others). Hope you'll bear with me, and thanks for the info - was wondering how UK programmers got the hashes into their Perl.

Have got Gentoo going well, and am about to start a full build. May be easier to optimize for speed, since Raspbian is already noticeably slow - and no 'foreign' keys there.

52midnight

Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:34 pm

Have now converted to the US English locale with UTF-8 encoding and the appropriate 105-key board, and all is behaving according to Hoyle.

Return to “Beginners”