DPaul

puzzled by LCD tft screens

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:09 am

Hi,

I am about to embark on a project where events are triggered via touch input on a tft touch screen.
I happen to own an adafruit 3.5", 320x480 screen, but that is not a must, i can use it for testing on a rpi Zero or a 3.

I have spent a few days reading stuff, and there are issues as available housing, bespoke faceplates, etc...etc...
On the software side, i read about TKinter, maybe Kivy...?( I will be using python for the program logic.)

Question: i am looking for a generic tut, that explains the various possibilities to connect a tft to an rpi.
Most of these tuts stick the screen direct onto the 40 gpio pins, so it is awkward to use the remaining pins :(
Also i want to develop via my desktop monitor, and not boot directly via the tft screen.

Am i asking for the impossible?

thx,
Paul.

scotty101

Re: puzzled by LCD tft screens

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:17 am

DPaul wrote:
Most of these tuts stick the screen direct onto the 40 gpio pins, so it is awkward to use the remaining pins :(
Many of the screens, specifically the Adafruit screens, break out the GPIO pins so that you can connect other devices to the unused pins.
DPaul wrote:
Also i want to develop via my desktop monitor, and not boot directly via the tft screen.
Typically you won't be able to display code on both your HDMI connected display and the expansion header connected LCD. (Getting this working is probably an advanced topic)
There is nothing stopping you from using VNC to remote desktop in to your Pi from another PC to develop.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

Return to “Beginners”