David Ryan

Configuring WiFi setting through node

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:48 pm

Hello all.

I've been poking around with setting up wifi via node after not having much luck finding a good full featured library.

As it stands I'm using the exec in node to run iwconfig and wpa_cli commands. After getting this working it seemed like there was probably an easier way out there so I decided to poll the community to see if anyone else has found sweet intuitive tool or had pointers for doing it better

All I need to be able to do is
1 - Connect PI to an AP
2 - Setup Pi as a hotspot

End goal is to be able to enter settings via webApp. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

epoch1970

Re: Configuring WiFi setting through node

Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:24 am

One of the most interesting approaches I've seen is here: https://github.com/txn2/txwifi
It's not like docker is going to make AP+STA magically work, but since that setup is so fiddly keeping a tight control over the different pieces of the system is a good idea. It's written in Go, not a node.js application. I tried running it, it didn't work as well as I'd hoped. I suppose it is making progress.

There are others (PHP this one), here is an awesome list of Pi projects, some AP related I think.

Fundamentally, WPA, WiFi and network drivers are what they are; so someone somewhere is going to feel it's not so sweet and intuitive...
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Return to “Beginners”