rasptian

How do I use my macbook pro as a monitor for my raspberry pi?

Mon May 28, 2018 2:53 am

I have the following items:
  • Macbook Pro Retina OS 10.13.4
  • HDMI cable
  • Brand new Raspberry Pi Model 3B+
  • power cable, keyboard, mouse for raspberry pi
I do not possess a HDMI monitor which I could use for my raspberry pi, thus I would like to use my laptop for that function.
My raspberry pi is brand new, and has never been configured before nor connected to the internet.

How do I go about using my macbook pro as a monintor, so that I can set-up my raspberry pi?

wildfire

Re: How do I use my macbook pro as a monitor for my raspberry pi?

Mon May 28, 2018 9:22 am

Short answer is you don't both are output devices.

Longer answer with a possible acceptable solution is to us VNC and connect to your pi over a network running headless.
E8 85 A2 64 C9 64 81 94 64 81 95 64 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

fruitoftheloom

Mon May 28, 2018 9:34 am

rasptian wrote:
I have the following items:
  • Macbook Pro Retina OS 10.13.4
  • HDMI cable
  • Brand new Raspberry Pi Model 3B+
  • power cable, keyboard, mouse for raspberry pi
I do not possess a HDMI monitor which I could use for my raspberry pi, thus I would like to use my laptop for that function.
My raspberry pi is brand new, and has never been configured before nor connected to the internet.

How do I go about using my macbook pro as a monintor, so that I can set-up my raspberry pi?

The MacBook does not have a HDMi input.

Use Remote Connection:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
Retired disgracefully.....

Z80 Refugee

Mon May 28, 2018 9:57 am

rasptian wrote:
I do not possess a HDMI monitor which I could use for my raspberry pi
Yes, VNC.

Otherwise: you're not supposed to need an HDMI monitor, the idea is to connect it to your TV. The concept is "low cost of entry", much like the early days of home computers when the likes of Sinclair made it accessible to the masses by using the TV as the display - ZX80/81, Spectrum, BBC B, etc etc...

The easiest way to set up VNC is to get the RPi running using the TV and configure it for VNC, test it out and make sure it will reboot with the VNC connection still available, and only then remove the TV connection.
Military and Automotive Electronics Design Engineer (retired)

For the best service: make your thread title properly descriptive, and put all relevant details in the first post (including links - don't make us search)!

W. H. Heydt

Mon May 28, 2018 5:37 pm

Minor additional note...a monitor with DVI input plus an HDMI to DVI cable will also work. Ask around. Someone in your family or among your friends may have an old monitor they are no longer using that they'll loan (indefinitely) or just give you. There are other sources of inexpensive (e.g. $10 to $25, or even free) monitors as well.

Return to “Beginners”