theMusicMan

Incorrect password for root terminal?

Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:21 pm

Hi All

So just having a play around with the new Pi3B+, and wanted to see what the application root terminal looked like. Appreciate it's root access, and I am at risk of knackering up the Pi if I did anything silly, but when I launch the app it asks for the root password, which I was given to understand on the Raspbian default install is raspberry, the system informs me this is the incorrect password.

Hmmm...

So what may I ask, is the correct password for root terminal on a default raspbian install please?

DougieLawson

Re: Incorrect password for root terminal?

Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:24 pm

There isn't one. You can set one from the pi userid with sudo passwd.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

theMusicMan

Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:33 pm

Aha... super. Thanks!

KLL

Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:37 pm

theMusicMan wrote:
Hi All

So just having a play around with the new Pi3B+, and wanted to see what the application root terminal looked like. Appreciate it's root access, and I am at risk of knackering up the Pi if I did anything silly, but when I launch the app it asks for the root password, which I was given to understand on the Raspbian default install is raspberry, the system informs me this is the incorrect password.

Hmmm...

So what may I ask, is the correct password for root terminal on a default raspbian install please?
that's a good one
[menu][preferences][main menu editor]
[accessories][root terminal] ENABLE
and then run into that password problem! ( must be a BUG from the last UPGRADE what also reset all my desktop settings )
must change
[properties][gksu /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator]
to
[properties][gksudo /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator]
for the look, you have to do again, different from user pi adjustments
Last edited by KLL on Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

theMusicMan

Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:43 pm

KLL wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:37 pm
theMusicMan wrote:
Hi All

Hmmm...

that's a good one
[menu][preferences][main menu editor]
[accessories][root terminal] ENABLE
and change
[properties][gksu /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator]
to
[properties][gksudo /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator]
It's all a really interesting learning curve for me. This is great, and I see it now allows me access to the root terminal with no password request.

Also... is root terminal application, the same as terminal? I ask because I see the same user and hostname when I access terninal as I do when I access root terminal.

KLL

Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:51 pm

usually can in a normal terminal ( or putty ssh)
type

Code: Select all

pi@RPI2:~ $ sudo su
root@RPI2:/home/pi# 

root@RPI2:/home/pi# exit
exit
pi@RPI2:~ $ 
theMusicMan wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:43 pm
Also... is root terminal application, the same as terminal? I ask because I see the same user and hostname when I access terninal as I do when I access root terminal.
no, i see different user name and there is a different environment

but as you can open a root terminal ( better as by the menu item):
sudo lxterminal
you can also open a other root application like, in a terminal type:
sudo leafpad ( that let you edit /etc/.... system files in a good GUI editor instead of sudo nano )
sudo pcmanfm ( that is a heavy one )
in this cases instead of "sudo" "gksudo" could be more correct.
Last edited by KLL on Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gkaiseril

Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:55 pm

You should be aware that there was no password set for the root user in order to prevent any hacker form guessing the password and acting as root. After you are through playing "root" disable the password. Also you should change the default password for user pi. You might want to review the RPF documentation on Security. This is no longer the 1970's and there are many hackers you want to take over your computer for many reasons.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

KLL

Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:10 pm

gkaiseril wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:55 pm
You should be aware that there was no password set for the root user in order to prevent any hacker form guessing the password and acting as root. After you are through playing "root" disable the password. Also you should change the default password for user pi. You might want to review the RPF documentation on Security. This is no longer the 1970's and there are many hackers you want to take over your computer for many reasons.
we talk here about a faulty desktop menu item "root terminal"
what does not work and asks for a password ( since last upgrade )

HawaiianPi

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:28 pm

For security reasons, the root account is disabled by default in Debian and its variants (no root password), and the sudo command negates the need for a root account for most situations.

You can enter a root terminal by entering "sudo su" into the user terminal.

You can open the GUI file manager as root with "gksudo pcmanfm" (but be very careful with that!)

Add a Root File Manager entry to the Raspbian menu.

Menu > Preferences > Main Menu Editor
Click on Accessories, then new item and fill out as follows:

You should also see an entry for a Root Terminal that is not enabled, so I enabled that while I was in there (see KLL reply below).

And here are a couple of custom icons I made for them (matching the Pixel/RPi Desktop style icons). Image Image
Grab those pics and click on the default icon in the corner of the box you edit when creating the root file manager menu entry (also located in properties when editing the menu), then select your desired picture.

Now, whenever you see something that tells you to edit a file outside your home folder, like /boot/config.txt, you can launch the root file manager, navigate to the file and double-click on it to open it in r/w mode.

*** DO NOT use this on files inside your home folder, you will break your system! ***

KLL wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:10 pm
we talk here about a faulty desktop menu item "root terminal"
what does not work and asks for a password ( since last upgrade )
Edit the menu entry for the root terminal and change "gksu" to "gksudo"
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Beginners”