RDK

Installing RTL_433 software for my SDR Antenna

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:48 am

I'm looking into using an SDR antenna to listen to some of my local weather sensors. It would appear that I'm not alone and that it is doable.

However, I'm a bit of a "noobs" when it comes to installing and compiling software on my Pi. Here is a link (https://github.com/merbanan/rtl_433) to the GIT site for the RTL_433 software, but I'm not sure how to proceed.

I have downloaded the ZIP file, but not sure which parts need to be copied to the Pi and where. Can someone help?.....RDK

fruitoftheloom

Re: Installing RTL_433 software for my SDR Antenna

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:35 am

RDK wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:48 am
I'm looking into using an SDR antenna to listen to some of my local weather sensors. It would appear that I'm not alone and that it is doable.

However, I'm a bit of a "noobs" when it comes to installing and compiling software on my Pi. Here is a link (https://github.com/merbanan/rtl_433) to the GIT site for the RTL_433 software, but I'm not sure how to proceed.

I have downloaded the ZIP file, but not sure which parts need to be copied to the Pi and where. Can someone help?.....RDK
Have you contacted the developer ?

https://raspberrypiandstuff.wordpress.c ... lletproof/
Retired disgracefully.....

tvjon

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:57 am

"not sure which parts need to be copied to the Pi and where¨?

The process is automated. That's part of the raison d'être of the build process. You don't need to copy anything.

"I have downloaded the ZIP file"

To where?

Assuming that you've unzipped the file (thus creating a folder rtl_433-master) to somewhere on your RPi, enter that folder, & open a terminal.

I already have the requisite libraries installed, but if you do not, the author´s README.md gives instructions thus:

sudo apt-get install libtool libusb-1.0.0-dev librtlsdr-dev rtl-sdr build-essential autoconf cmake pkg-config

I'm using Raspbian Stretch, & attached is a zipped text file of the 3 commands I then typed, along with RPi's responses.
build-procedure.zip
(2.72 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
To test it you don't need to install it, but simply run it by entering the

src

folder & typing

./rtl_433

HTH

RDK

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:07 am

tvjon.....Thanks for the info. I have looked at your example and again at the GIT site. I see where you used the "autoconf" method as opposed to the "cmake".

The GIT documentation call for a "make install" command at the end. I did not see this in your notes? I assume it needs to be run if I'm going to use this software for something other than testing?

Also, looking back in my notes for other installs from a GIT site I see syntax like "git clone --recursive https://github.com/simsong/tcpflow.git" and then the other steps. What is the difference between using the downloaded ZIP file versus the "clone" method?

Thanks....RDK

RDK

Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:36 am

tvjon.....OK, I got it installed. Using your example I was not successful, but it gave me enough ideas that I was able to make the cmake procedure work. I'm up and running now. Thanks again....RDK

RDK

Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:47 am

Folks, my RTL_433 system is working fine. However, now I want to make a change in one of the files and then make those changes "live". Do I need to repeat all of these steps:
  • cd build
    sudo cmake ../
    sudo make
    sudo make install
Thanks....RDK

KevinA

Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:08 pm

@RDK
steps:

cd build
sudo cmake ../