KnewBee

Using Pi as a standalone jukebox solution?

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:58 pm

Hi

I'm in the process of creating my own bar/games room and I'd like to create a jukebox-style thing.

I'm wondering if it's possible to mount a touchscreen monitor on the wall, attach the Pi behind that, and then have the Pi connect via WiFi to an external hard drive which will store all the mp3s, and then stream that music via Bluetooth to the speakers.

I'm not looking to stream anything from the cloud or use Spotify or anything, just looking for a nice way to play my existing mp3 collection.

Does this sound feasible, or am I better off using a mini PC instead of the Pi?

Cheers

wrightmac

Re: Using Pi as a standalone jukebox solution?

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:46 am

It sure is! I have a Pi ZeroW that I use for such a purpose. I use the package Musicbox and it has served me well. I have a DAC PHAT installed on it. It is nothing fancy, but I use it to feed some local bookshelf speakers. I built a Bluetooth speaker which resides upstairs and I can pipe music to it as well. I have problems with Airplay. It seems to work when it wants to on my system.

There are some really cool setups out there depending on what you want to use it for and how much you want to spend. Some of the DACs getting pretty pricey, but they also sound really nice.

Hope this helps out with your project!

Paul Webster

Re: Using Pi as a standalone jukebox solution?

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:36 am

If you want to really create that old Jukebox look then try Fruitbox
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=188723#p1188358

Return to “Beginners”