cchisholm

raspbian jesse vs raspbian stretch

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:45 pm

Someone just suggested I re load my operating system to get past some problems I've been having loading cncjs. I never even heard of Raspbian Stretch before he suggested it. What is the difference between the two, or am i trying to compare apples to hammers.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: raspbian jesse vs raspbian stretch

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:53 pm

raspbian is based on debian, and follows it revisioning naming system.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_version_history

based on characters from the famous pixel movie.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:56 pm

Jessie and Stretch are the two most recent major release of Debian Linux. Raspbian is a specially set up version of Debian. Raspbian Stretch was released last summer. So...really the difference is one of keeping up to date. Eventually, Jessie will become unsupported. (So will Stretch, of course, but only after at least the next version---Debian Buster, to be followed by Bullseye.) These days, Debian typically runs on a 2 year cycle and Raspbian follows several months after Debian, so expect Raspbian Buster some time in the second half of 2019.

cchisholm

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:27 pm

so I take it that stretch is a bit older than jesse. Is that correct? Unless there is some great advantage that I don't know about, I am thinking of just sticking with what i've been doing....down load NOOBS and go from there.

Thanks for you response.
Charlie

Mortimer

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:45 pm

No, Stretch is the most recent, and therefore youngest...
https://www.debian.org/releases/
  • The next release of Debian is codenamed buster — no release date has been set
  • Debian 9 (stretch) — current stable release
  • Debian 8 (jessie) — obsolete stable release
  • Debian 7 (wheezy) — obsolete stable release
  • Debian 6.0 (squeeze) — obsolete stable release
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

HawaiianPi

Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:04 am

mahjongg wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:53 pm
based on characters from the famous pixel movie.
:D That's Pixar, and the release names are characters from the Toy Story movies.
cchisholm wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:27 pm
so I take it that stretch is a bit older than jesse. Is that correct?
Raspbian Stretch is the current stable release at this time. The previous release, Jessie, is classified as "OldStable" and is still being supported until June 2018, at which point it converts to LTS for security updates only. Prior to that was Wheezy, for which LTS support ends in May 2018.

If all you want is Raspbian, then you shouldn't use NOOBS. NOOBS is just an installer that wastes more than 1GB of space on your SD card. You basically download and install NOOBS just so NOOBS can download and install Raspbian. Writing a Raspbian image directly with Etcher is easier and faster (no need to extract the image or format the card prior to writing the image).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

crchisholm

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:49 am

Ahhh. I will switch and go stretch then. Just call me the man with the silly putty opinion.

Thank you all.

R-A

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:57 am

Can one easily upgrade to the next version, without having to download the ISO and reinstall the microSD card everytime?

I want to use Raspberry "in the wild", where remote access via SSH and VPN is the only access. Thus, upgrading the OS would be rather difficult.
I'm using a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B with 7" LCD Touch screen and Mini USB Wireless Keyboard

B.Goode

Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:56 am

R-A wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:57 am
Can one easily upgrade to the next version, without having to download the ISO and reinstall the microSD card everytime?

I want to use Raspberry "in the wild", where remote access via SSH and VPN is the only access. Thus, upgrading the OS would be rather difficult.

This is the information from the Raspberry Pi Foundation when Raspbian Stretch was released.

See https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbian-stretch/

Scroll down to the section headed How to get Raspbian Stretch

Note that they say, regarding upgrading:
Don't do it.
If you do it, it may not work.
If you still insist, do it this way:
To upgrade, first modify the files /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list. In both files, change every occurrence of the word ‘jessie’ to ‘stretch’. (Both files will require sudo to edit.)

Then open a terminal window and execute

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
Answer ‘yes’ to any prompts. There may also be a point at which the install pauses while a page of information is shown on the screen – hold the ‘space’ key to scroll through all of this and then hit ‘q’ to continue.

I heeded the first piece of advice, so I have never done this. But I assume that the Raspberry Pi Foundation probably know how to configure their own OS. And after this length of time someone would have pointed out any errors...

Edit: subsequently added - on re-reading I see I have referred to upgrading from the previous version to the current version. That may not be what you meant by the next version..

Return to “Beginners”