secreus

(SOLVED) Lost storage from formatting Raspbian microSD

Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:46 pm

So a while back, I got to work on my Raspberry Pi VPN project and had everything set up. I remembered making some options correct, but we've changed our internet plan since then to a static IP address. I looked for a way to delete/restart OpenVPN/Raspbian but couldn't find any; so I formatted the entire 32 gig microSD in Windows. Now, there's two drives when I put in my microSD; one is the SD slot with 41.5 megabytes open, and the other is a USB drive with 14.7 gigabytes open. Is there any way to recover the lost storage and get the card back to display as one single drive?
Last edited by secreus on Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Lost storage from formatting Raspbian microSD

Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:05 am

secreus wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:46 pm
So a while back, I got to work on my Raspberry Pi VPN project and had everything set up. I remembered making some options correct, but we've changed our internet plan since then to a static IP address. I looked for a way to delete/restart OpenVPN/Raspbian but couldn't find any; so I formatted the entire 32 gig microSD in Windows. Now, there's two drives when I put in my microSD; one is the SD slot with 41.5 megabytes open, and the other is a USB drive with 14.7 gigabytes open. Is there any way to recover the lost storage and get the card back to display as one single drive?

Windows natively will only read the first partition if FAT or NTFS formatted.

SD Card Formatter may get the SD Card back to one partition:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
Retired disgracefully.....

beta-tester

Re: Lost storage from formatting Raspbian microSD

Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:20 am

don't care about the second partition that windows can not handle - do not try to repair or format that partition, when windows is asking you.
the second partition is formated with a file system (ext4) that windows don't know, but it is the root file system for linux and the linux world knows how to handle that ;)

simply follow the installation guide to prepare & install a new sd card...
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B, RPi3B, RPi3B+, RPiZeroW, ...

Return to “Beginners”