StuartD

Pi only boots to logo

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:08 am

I set everything up, using RCA to connect to the TV with a scart adaptor. There is no Linux login, just a multicoloured screen for a few seconds then a r-pi logo in the top left of he screen, and only half on the screen.
The supplied SD card says it is 'Debian 6 for Linux.' Which I don't understand, as Debian *is* a Linux distro.

Any ideas how I can get this working please?

Cheers,
Stuart.

penguintutor

Re: Pi only boots to logo

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:02 am

The supplied SD card says it is 'Debian 6 for Linux.' Which I don't understand, as Debian *is* a Linux distro.
I assume that is a pre-installed Pi SD card. Sound's like they tried to apply a naming convention for "add-on" software whereas it's actually the full OS.

It the logo is just a bit off to the top left of the screen then that's OK. You may need to change your overscan settings, but that can be done once up and running.

Do you get any scrolling text on the screen? If not then first thing is to try a different power supply as an undervoltage supply is the cause of many problems booting the Raspberry Pi. Reading today's blog on the Raspberry Pi website - it sounds like there are some fake power supplies that look like the genuine article as well as the usual suspects of cheap generic supplies that don't work at the correct voltage.

Haemogoblin

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:08 am

Hi there

Last night i was messing with my Pi trying to get the screen res to sit properly on my monitor without the black borders. At the same time i was looking on wiki at reallocating the memory between ram and GPU, using one of the commands on wiki. After doing said command, I also had a RPi that just hung with the logo in to top left corner.

I found renaming a file called "cmdline" to bkcmdline" allowed my RPi to boot up. The file was in the root of the SDcard, when i loaded it up on my Winblows machine.

Dont know if that helps, but i saw the thread title and thought i'd mention it.

James
Blackadder: Right Baldrick, let's try again, shall we? This is called adding. If I have two beans, and then I add two more, what do I have?
Baldrick: Some beans

itimpi

Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:38 pm

Haemogoblin wrote: I found renaming a file called "cmdline" to bkcmdline" allowed my RPi to boot up. The file was in the root of the SDcard, when i loaded it up on my Winblows machine.
That would cause the Pi to revert to using default values for all the options that can be set via config.txt. You might want to open up the problem one in a text editor to see if you can spot what might be the problem.

StuartD

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:42 pm

There is no scrolling text on the screen. I've tried several other chargers, none of which work any differently, and the logo is only in black and white today.

The charger we were supplied with is black, unlike the ones pictured on the blog post.

JustPat

Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:54 pm

That's really weird. Maybe the SD card got corrupted somehow. I would just try reflashing the SD card the normal way. Other than that, I have no ideas. I guess I should ask, Is anything flashing or does the screen just freeze?

StuartD

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:10 pm

I can't see anything flashing but a cursor could be doing so offscreen I suppose.
There is a red LED lit inside the pi.

ThomasAnderson

Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:59 am

StuartD wrote:I can't see anything flashing but a cursor could be doing so offscreen I suppose.
There is a red LED lit inside the pi.
I have this exact same issue. I've tried multiple SD cards (different manufacturers), different power supplies. I see the color boot screen, then the screen changes to the pi logo and no text (Linux boot) appears. It just sits there.

I've tried using HDMI(DVI Monitor - no screen at all). On composite I see the boot logo. Please help.

ThomasAnderson

Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:45 am

I downloaded another distro (Android for Pi) and tried it, booted with text which led me to believe me (.img) file was corrupt and indeed the zip file did not match the sha1sum on the web site. New download, new image written and the Pi boots fine.

Hope this helps.

StuartD

Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:10 pm

Thankyou Mister Anderson.

Return to “Beginners”