Koertjuh

Wake up raspberry pi via script

Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi,

I'm not very experienced in linux and need a good way to restart or sleep and wake up a raspberry pi during night time. Is there a way for that?

Thanks in advance.

Koert

asandford

Re: Wake up raspberry pi via script

Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:14 am

Koertjuh wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:42 pm
Hi,

I'm not very experienced in linux and need a good way to restart or sleep and wake up a raspberry pi during night time. Is there a way for that?

Thanks in advance.

Koert
The PI has no power mangement; can't sleep, hibernate or wake up. The PI is (under raspbian) in one of 3 states: power applied and CPU running OS, power applied and CPU halted / not running OS, and power not applied. You can reboot from 2 with hardware on the run pads.

You might as well just leave it on as the power usage is minimal (unless there is more to it that you haven't mentioned).

DougieLawson

Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:30 am

WittyPi2 probably solves the problem.
http://www.uugear.com/product/wittypi2/
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

asandford

Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:57 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:30 am
WittyPi2 probably solves the problem.
http://www.uugear.com/product/wittypi2/
My supplier charges ~13p/KWh, so costs around (based on 5W usage) ~ £5.70/year.

That device adds 3 years costs.

Martin Frezman

Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:24 am

A lot of people are baked into a philosophy of "things must be turned off when they are not in use". Relics of an earlier age when:

1) Devices all used lots of power (like a 100W light bulb)
2) Devices generated lots of heat (largely as a result of the previous point) and so were fire hazards if left on unattended.
3) Electricity was expensive.

Hard to shake old habits.
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

Douglas6

Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:19 am

A lot of people are baked into the philosophy that electricity use is negligible, and has no impact on the environment (that is changing). Unfortunately, the Raspberry Pi has no low-power mode, and continues to draw a small but significant power usage while on.

Hard to adapt to new realities.
Last edited by Douglas6 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Frezman

Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:33 am

Well, there ya go!
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

wh7qq

Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:46 am

Nice for all of you who enjoy cheap electricity. Mine costs $.45/KWh so I turn things off when not in use in spite of my net-metered PV system, solar water heater, LED lights and Energy Star everything. Nothing is "baked in". On a fixed income, you save those pennies where you can.

I have a Witty Pi 2 and it is a great device within its limits. You can set it to turn on and off on a schedule but to my dismay. more than one on-off event per time period gets pretty complicated working out the timing. It has a great RTC built in and has ultra-low power drain when it sleeps and the Pi is in hard shutdown. Still, something like a Wake-on-LAN signal has no way of getting to the RPi fr om the network or the LAN as it is more like a stone than a computer when it is powered off.

I use the Witty Pi with a B+ to control the solar water heater and I would like to have the heater on when rates are lower and then give it a quick "bump" before shower time. So far, have not figured out how to reliably schedule the "bump".

asandford

Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:29 am

There is also a 'wear' involved with turning electonics off and on. I've had many systems die when power cycled after long periods of uptime - IBM 4381 fans were the worst (talking work, not PIs). There are mechanical stresses created when the board heats and cools, these can lead to fractures of the joints.

Return to “Beginners”