RDK

Pi V2-Jessie crashed. Can not reformat SD card???

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:13 pm

My Raspberry Pi V2 running Jessie crashed today. As I watched the boot up afterwards it was full of errors relating to the boot SD, etc. I assume that SD card had gotten corrupted. I tried the "Restore" option for booting and that gave be errors also.

Next using HDDRawCopy 1.1, tried restoring a backup copy to that SD card. Same problem, will not boot and lots of I/O errors. I tried to format this card hoping that that would correct the failing areas. Using SDFormatter 4 I got a error message that the SD card (probably a NOOBs image originally) was locked, thus formatting was impossible. However, from Window 10 I can see the card and even create a TXT file on the RESTORE partition, so how can it really be locked??

I also tried using Windows to format with similar "I can't do it" results. I also tried a different SD card, also a NOOBs image, which gave the same results. Is there an issue for formatting a NOOBs SD card back to its full size?

Now I found another 8GB SD card and tried to restore my backup to that card, again using HDDRawCopy 1.1. This time HDDRawCopy says that the two 8GB cards are slightly different in size and throws a write error and shuts down (it also does that when I tried using a 32 GB SD card.). In the past I'm sure I have restored 8GB images to 16GB SD cards?

So at this point I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. Why can I not reformat these SD cards? How do I recover from this Pi v2 crash?

I'm in the process of downloading a new NOOB image.

Would greatly appreciate any help or ideas about this. Thanks....RDK

drgeoff

Re: Pi V2-Jessie crashed. Can not reformat SD card???

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:14 pm

Reformatting using the SD Card Association's Formatter with the 'Adjust Size' option set to on is the recommended method. However if it thinks the card is locked....

A digital camera can sometimes reformat a card when all other options seem to fail.

Be sure that your card reader supports SDHC cards.

RDK

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:50 am

Thanks. Yes, every method (Nikon camera, Panasonic camera, Windows 10 Device Manager, Windows 10 "properties:format", ...) seems to think the card is lock or not available to formatting. Rebooting the PC did not help.

If the PC will read the card, I assume it is compatible with SHSD cards?

And, yes, the write protect tab is set properly.

.....RDK

Update: I downloaded and installed the latest version of SD Formatter (version 5). Using a different 8GB SD card, the new version formatted the card - voila!!! Then I tried to copy the latest download of the NOOBs files and the copy failed: Disk write protected :twisted:

I tried to reformat it again with SD Formatter 5 and that program now threw a error that the SD disk was write protested.

So now I have two 8 GB SD cards which are out of action. I'm afraid to try with another one, 16 or 32 GB as I can not afford losing additional card to this problem.

I also stated up an old Windows 7 laptop which also would not format the cards.....RDK

RDK

Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:36 am

Administrator....I'm beginning to suspect that this is more of a hardware issue than a Raspberry Pi issue. Thus if you wish to move it from Beginners to another forum, please do that.

I will continue to try to determine why I can not format or copy old image files to these two SD cards as described above. If I come up with a solution I will post it here. For now I'm rebuilding from an older Jessie NOOBs sd card. That seems to be going normally.....RDK

DougieLawson

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:50 pm

RDK wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:36 am
I will continue to try to determine why I can not format or copy old image files to these two SD cards as described above. If I come up with a solution I will post it here. For now I'm rebuilding from an older Jessie NOOBs sd card. That seems to be going normally.....RDK
Why waste your time for £5, $5.50, €6 you can buy a genuine, factory fresh, 8GB SDCard and you'll be up and running twenty minutes after you get home from the supermarket.

Alternatively you can beat your head against a wall, it may hurt less than mucking about with a dead SDCard.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Martin Frezman

Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:00 pm

Alternatively you can beat your head against a wall, it may hurt less than mucking about with a dead SDCard.
I've heard it said, quite frequently, that the Pi is "for learning".

Maybe that goal is actually what is at play here in this thread.

Just sayin...
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

RDK

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:06 pm

Yes, issues like this are a challenge. Dougie may be right that this fight is about a failed SD card, but it seemed to have other associated issues which affected one other card and some of my backup and restore programs. At this point, I've about convinced myself that once the PC tried to work with the initial bad card, it left some "residuals" in memory which made subsequent tries with other SD cards also look like they are failing (ie locked).

This afternoon I have successfully rebuild that PI V2 from a NOOBs SD, AND successfully got the latest backup of the failed SD copied to a new SD card (yes they are cheap) and it has booted up successfully.

So for now, I putting this old SD card in the trash and going off on a 4 day weekend with my wife and her mom.....RDK

Ronaldlees

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:09 pm

Yes - it's a hardware issue. See:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=190645

The uSD disk's metadata can get trashed if there's an unexpected power shut-off. When the uSD or SD looks at the trashed metadata, it can't figure out a safe write option, and thus does nothing. Hence, it's read-only from then on.

The SD reformatters really need to know specific information about how the uSD's firmware is coded. That's why they often seem to work, but don't.
I am the Umbrella man

Return to “Beginners”