GreeseMonkie

Cluster pi computing

Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:00 pm

I am fully aware that it would probably be more expensive I just want to know if it's possible.

Is it possible to cluster say idk 10 Pi's (hypothetical) and have them run as a unit?

I'm a big computer person. But I have next to no understanding of how circuts work.

I'm trying to wrap my head around why full windows can't be ran on pi. Given infinite storage upgrade and clustering (if possible) I just don't understand why it wouldn't work. I get it wouldn't be practical but I don't understand why it wouldn't work

drgeoff

Re: Cluster pi computing

Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:27 am

1. Yes it is possible to cluster RPis. Google it.

They won't run necessarily run as a bigger computer. Software needs to be specially crafted to have parallel tasks which can be distributed across the RPis.

2. Can full Windows run on an iPhone or Android phone?

Same reasons. Completely different CPU instruction set and hardware.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:46 am

GreeseMonkie wrote:I am fully aware that it would probably be more expensive I just want to know if it's possible.

Is it possible to cluster say idk 10 Pi's (hypothetical) and have them run as a unit?

I'm a big computer person. But I have next to no understanding of how circuts work.

I'm trying to wrap my head around why full windows can't be ran on pi. Given infinite storage upgrade and clustering (if possible) I just don't understand why it wouldn't work. I get it wouldn't be practical but I don't understand why it wouldn't work

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/octapi/

https://www.pidramble.com/
Retired disgracefully.....

B.Goode

Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:18 am

It's like a very big tent, and the clowns drive in an old car and the doors fall off. People laugh. Sometimes the clowns throw water over each other. People laugh at that too.

richrarobi

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:33 am

Octapi utilizes Dispy and Pycos python software, both available on Linux Mint and probably on "other" systems. Within Pycos is a package called netpycos that offers distributed tasks across a network. Now while clusters look like enormous fun, they don't really provide real power using miniscule computers and should be considered "(in)formative" rather than "practical".

However, with Pi's the major usability is the GPIO and attaching "things".
Distributed computing allows you to have your Pi's and eat them too, as it were.

You can set up individual pi's, each running specific tasks (e.g. a humidity monitor, or a Blinkt LED display, or status display) and have other Pi's, or indeed other non-Pi systems, communicating on a by-task basis across the LAN. (Maybe WAN).
While I currently use ZEROMQ for this, I am sufficiently impressed by the Pycos documentation to investigate converting to use netpycos.
Have a look here:-
https://pycos.sourceforge.io/netpycos.html

p.s.
sudo pip3 install pycos
for use with python3

Return to “Beginners”