polymorphism

Wifi and Debian Stretch

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:27 am

Hello everybody,

I'm working with a Debian Stretch :)
And I think I have an issue with the Wifi.

It seem that the firmware have a problem :

Code: Select all

$ dmesg | grep brcm
[    3.821078] usbcore: registered new interface driver brcmfmac
[    3.841684] brcmfmac mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt failed with error -2
[    4.896124] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_htclk: HT Avail timeout (1000000): clkctl 0x50
[    5.906271] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_htclk: HT Avail timeout (1000000): clkctl 0x50
And when I can't obtain a wlan0 device :

$ sudo wpa_supplicant -Dnl80211 -iwlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
Could not read interface wlan0 flags: No such device
nl80211: Driver does not support authentication/association or connect commands
nl80211: deinit ifname=wlan0 disabled_11b_rates=0
Could not read interface wlan0 flags: No such device
wlan0: Failed to initialize driver interface
Thanks for your help.

hommar

Re: Wifi and Debian Stretch

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:56 pm

Please, read stretch release notes
2.2.8. New method for naming network interfaces
The installer and newly installed systems will use a new standard naming scheme for network interfaces instead of eth0, eth1, etc. The old naming method suffered from enumeration race conditions that made it possible for interface names to change unexpectedly and is incompatible with mounting the root filesystem read-only. The new enumeration method relies on more sources of information, to produce a more repeatable outcome. It uses the firmware/BIOS provided index numbers and then tries PCI card slot numbers, producing names like ens0 or enp1s1 (ethernet) or wlp3s0 (wlan). USB devices, which can be added to the system at any time, will have names based upon their ethernet MAC addresses.

polymorphism

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:12 am

Ok, but on my Stretch I have always :

$ sudo ifconfig -a
eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING>  mtu 65536
and when I change the name wlan0 by the new name, the result is identical :

$ sudo wpa_supplicant -Dnl80211 -iwlp3s0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
Could not read interface wlp3s0 flags: No such device
nl80211: Driver does not support authentication/association or connect commands
nl80211: deinit ifname=wlp3s0 disabled_11b_rates=0
Could not read interface wlp3s0 flags: No such device
wlp3s0: Failed to initialize driver interface

asandford

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:20 am

You're on your own until an official version of Raspbian Stretch is released.

ericcooper

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:54 am

Does the file /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt that it's complaining about exist?

It should be part of the firmware-brcm80211 package; make sure you upgraded that (from the stretch portion of the raspberrypi.org repo) in addition to the rest of stretch from the raspbian.org repo.

hommar

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:55 am

polymorphism wrote:Ok, but on my Stretch I have always :

$ sudo ifconfig -a
eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING>  mtu 65536
and when I change the name wlan0 by the new name, the result is identical :

$ sudo wpa_supplicant -Dnl80211 -iwlp3s0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
"p3" in name is the third PCI card slot number :lol:
name is wlp3s0 for example only

PS if you update Jessie to Stretch, you have old names

polymorphism

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:15 am

My configuration :

pi@fidji:~ $ cat /etc/debian_version 
pi@fidji:~ $ uname -a
Linux fidji 4.9.35-v7+ #1014 SMP Fri Jun 30 14:47:43 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux
pi@fidji:~ $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ stretch main contrib non-free rpi
# Uncomment line below then 'apt-get update' to enable 'apt-get source'
#deb-src http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/ stretch main contrib non-free rpi
Interresting :

pi@fidji:~ $ ls -l /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt
ls: cannot access '/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt': No such file or directory
But the issue is the same.

DougieLawson

Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:13 pm

Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

IAmARaspberryPi

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:33 am

DougieLawson wrote:Download this: http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/p ... i1_all.deb and install it.
Holy cow, that did the trick.

pi@pi_model_3:~ $ sudo dpkg -i firmware-brcm80211_20161130-3+rpi1_all.deb 
(Reading database ... 36985 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack firmware-brcm80211_20161130-3+rpi1_all.deb ...
Unpacking firmware-brcm80211 (20161130-3+rpi1) over (20161130-3) ...
Setting up firmware-brcm80211 (20161130-3+rpi1) ...
How did you know?! And why is the 20161130-3+rpi1 not the one used by default on an apt upgrade?

asandford

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:02 am

IAmARaspberryPi wrote: And why is the 20161130-3+rpi1 not the one used by default on an apt upgrade?
Because Raspbian stretch hasn't been released yet, so you'll get whatever the builders have released so far.

I'm not sure if this quote still holds true, but it might shed some light on why RPF packages aren't in Raspbian yet

From here
Note: Raspbian is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. Raspbian was created by a small, dedicated team of developers that are fans of the Raspberry Pi hardware, the educational goals of the Raspberry Pi Foundation and, of course, the Debian Project.

DirkS

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:55 pm

asandford wrote:I'm not sure if this quote still holds true, but it might shed some light on why RPF packages aren't in Raspbian yet
[/quote]
RPF has its own repo. Some packages in there may have a stretch version, but it's a work in progress.

DougieLawson

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:59 pm

IAmARaspberryPi wrote: How did you know?! And why is the 20161130-3+rpi1 not the one used by default on an apt upgrade?
I simply went looking for the latest available, regardless of distro version.
It should be part of the base build when Stretch is released for general availability.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

asandford

Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:07 am

DirkS wrote: RPF has its own repo. Some packages in there may have a stretch version, but it's a work in progress.
Indeed, that answers why an unreleased version isn't totally available or supported.

It'll be released when it's ready, why do people complain that unreleased, untested and unfixed things don't work?

If one wants to be at the cutting edge, expect to bleed.

IAmARaspberryPi

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:09 pm

asandford wrote:Indeed, that answers why an unreleased version isn't totally available or supported.

It'll be released when it's ready, why do people complain that unreleased, untested and unfixed things don't work?

If one wants to be at the cutting edge, expect to bleed.
Personally, I am not complaining about things not working. If I'm doing any complaining, it's only that there doesn't appear to be adequate documentation on helping oneself. For example, if I run into a problem on Debian testing or unstable, I know that I can hop on Debian's well-documented package search and look into what might be wrong myself. I can even submit patches to the maintainer and help out in my own way, as I have done in the past.

This may be a matter of me simply not knowing the Raspbian development process as well. If anyone would like to shed some light on how DougieLawson found the 20161130-3+rpi1 package so quickly, and how I could have found it for myself and how to view other package tracking information on the firmware-brcm80211 package, I am eager to learn.

I would appreciate your frustration if people in this thread were puling an XDA, but right now, your passive-aggressive comments seem like an overly harsh response.

rpdom

Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:23 am

IAmARaspberryPi wrote:Personally, I am not complaining about things not working. If I'm doing any complaining, it's only that there doesn't appear to be adequate documentation on helping oneself. For example, if I run into a problem on Debian testing or unstable, I know that I can hop on Debian's well-documented package search and look into what might be wrong myself. I can even submit patches to the maintainer and help out in my own way, as I have done in the past.
One thing that is important: There is the Raspbian repo (raspbian.org), which is Debian recompiled for ARMv6 with some patches where required to make it work, and there is the Raspberry Pi repo (archive.raspberrypi.org) where any Pi specific packages and some with special fixes are housed.

If you have a problem with something from the Raspbian repo you should first check for bugs on the Debian site - they may not be Raspbian specific.

If you have problems with the Raspberry Pi repo then you can ask here.

The package Douge suggested is from the Raspberry Pi repo, not the Raspbian one. Specifically in the stretch release (which is available, just not quite ready for general use yet)

Return to “Beginners”