JustPat

I Need Help With SD Card Setup!

Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:30 am

Ok, this is driving me insane. I waited 2 months for a Raspberry Pi, and the only thing I can do is look at the thing. I absolutely can not get my Raspberry Pi to boot! I prepared an SD card, attempted to boot it up, the PWR light turned solid red, but the OK light just flashed in a completely random pattern and the LNK light flickered on for about 1ms one time. So, I went out and bought a brand new SD card that was on the working SD cards list thinking that was the problem. I used the "dd" procedure on a mac, and according to the mac, everything went according to plan, but not according to my pi. Same thing as before, PWR light solid red, OK light flashes randomly and very rapidly, sometimes staying solid for up to 5 seconds, and then going back to rapid flickering. I checked the SD card pins on the PI, the power source, everything. I even tried powering the pi with the 5V rated USB hub that I bought, powering the pi through the its usb port, same exact thing. What am I doing wrong? I don't see a case where the OK light flashes randomly in the troubleshooting section of the wiki. Is it possible I have a defective Pi? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

itimpi

Re: I Need Help With SD Card Setup!

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:20 am

I assume that you are assuming you have a problem because you see no onscreen messages? From your description it sounds as if the Pi may be booting fine, and your problem is getting it to recognise your video device. What are you using for this purpose?

You may find the following thread to be useful: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =26&t=5851

JustPat

Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:29 pm

itimpi wrote:I assume that you are assuming you have a problem because you see no onscreen messages? From your description it sounds as if the Pi may be booting fine, and your problem is getting it to recognise your video device. What are you using for this purpose?

You may find the following thread to be useful: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =26&t=5851
I thought the same at first, but I checked some videos of a pi booting up, and in all of them, all of the lights on the board flashed in sequence. Mine didn't do that. I will give this thread a go though, thanks.

broo0ose

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:29 pm

Most of the lights only come on when there's a network connected.

ausinhanks

Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:33 pm

I am having a silialr problem as a couple of others. The card has been downloaded unziped and used disk imaging software to put it on the SD card. I have done this with my Mac and then many time now o. Windows and it still will just not boot. I put the card in the raspberry pi and then power the lights come on and pwr becomes solid and the other ones flash I then hook up the mouse and keyboard and I look at the screen and it has loaded all the colors and starts scrolling through text. This is where it stops and comes up with an error. I am newer to this and need help I am not buying something and waiting for months just to sit and look at this.

Return to “Beginners”