jamiemc1

Headless Pi Zero without Network

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:29 pm

I have a Pi Zero and want to use it headless, however I have no internet access at my new apartment and as a result no router.

Is there a way for me to SSH (or equivalent) into my Pi (from my Ubuntu laptop) without going through a router.

I was thinking along the lines of using a wi-fi adaptor plugged into the Pi currently broadcasting its location and my laptop latching onto it...however any better saner suggestions would be welcomed!

drgeoff

Re: Headless Pi Zero without Network

Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:20 pm

There are many posts here and also info on the net describing how to connect the Zero and a computer using nothing more than an ordinary USB to micro-USB cable.

tweak42

Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:48 pm

jamiemc1 wrote:I have a Pi Zero and want to use it headless, however I have no internet access at my new apartment and as a result no router.

Is there a way for me to SSH (or equivalent) into my Pi (from my Ubuntu laptop) without going through a router.

I was thinking along the lines of using a wi-fi adaptor plugged into the Pi currently broadcasting its location and my laptop latching onto it...however any better saner suggestions would be welcomed!
The term you are looking for is Pi Zero gadget mode. Adafruit has a good guide:
https://learn.adafruit.com/turning-your ... net-gadget

Additionally once you get the Pi Zero working, if you your laptop happens to be connected to the internet you can share it's connection to the Zero so you can download updates and install new programs.

Cancelor

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:36 pm

If you have added WiFi to the zero then you could set it up as a WiFi access point.

If you have added Ethernet to it then you can connect with an Ethernet cable.
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

jamiemc1

Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:33 am

tweak42 wrote: The term you are looking for is Pi Zero gadget mode. Adafruit has a good guide:
https://learn.adafruit.com/turning-your ... net-gadget
This is spot-on thanks! I assumed I was just searching for the wrong terms.

Return to “Beginners”