Boilerben

How to connect to "hidden" wifi

Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:05 pm

Total first timer here trying to get my pi 3 configured for my daughter. Our home network SSID is not broadcast meaning it doesn't appear in a list of available networks, you have to know the name. We successfully installed NOOBS and connected to network via Ethernet and it worked great. We started playing with the GPIO and accidentally shorted the 3.3V power on the breadboard. The pi restarted itself but we aren't connected to the Internet anymore. Figured I'd connect to wifi but I don't see a way to connect to a "hidden" SSID.

Any advice? Also need to know how to activate sound. I tried connecting the audio output to a speaker but no sound.

DougieLawson

Re: How to connect to "hidden" wifi

Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:37 pm

Stop hiding your SSID, it does nothing useful except make hard for legitimate uses to connect. It is NOT a security option.

To connect to hidden SSIDs needs special instructions in the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file
viewtopic.php?p=239347#p239347
Note:Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

MikeyS

Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:35 pm

Sorry, but some people don't want or need to broadcast their HOME wifi to the neighborhood. If you offer your wifi as a public access, then broadcast away.

Other note, thank you for the link.

RaspbianDK

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:44 am

Why would you hide your wifi? Is a password not enough security?

DirkS

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:13 am

RaspbianDK wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:44 am
Why would you hide your wifi? Is a password not enough security?
Hiding the SSID actually does not increase security...
It means that every device that wants to connect has to shout out the SSID continuously, something that can be easily picked up by the bad guys
See e.g. https://lifehacker.com/5636856/is-hidin ... ore-secure

Return to “Beginners”