John Brown

What is the maximum micro sd card capacity for RP3

Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:13 pm

Raspberry Pi 3. What is the maximum micro sd card that you can use? As I understand, officially, 32gb. However some people have reported 64gb working. Is this consistent across brands or brand-specific?

I would like to purchase the Sandisk Ultra, Class 10. A pretty popular micro sd card.

klricks

Re: What is the maximum micro sd card capacity for RP3

Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:53 pm

John Brown wrote:Raspberry Pi 3. What is the maximum micro sd card that you can use? As I understand, officially, 32gb. However some people have reported 64gb working. Is this consistent across brands or brand-specific?

I would like to purchase the Sandisk Ultra, Class 10. A pretty popular micro sd card.
I don't think there is a maximum? But remember that any SD care 32GB or greater is likely formatted exFAT which does not work on the RPi. If so the SD card must be reformatted as FAT32 before attempting to install an OS. See: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=83372&p=651745#p677748
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

jahboater

Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:50 am

klricks wrote:
John Brown wrote:Raspberry Pi 3. What is the maximum micro sd card that you can use? As I understand, officially, 32gb. However some people have reported 64gb working. Is this consistent across brands or brand-specific?

I don't think there is a maximum? But remember that any SD care 32GB or greater is likely formatted exFAT which does not work on the RPi. If so the SD card must be reformatted as FAT32 before attempting to install an OS. See: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=83372&p=651745#p677748
Thats for NOOBS. If you simply use the Rasbian image directly than there is no need to format the SD card first and there is no upper limit for the card size (well there is, ext4 has an upper limit of 1 exbibyte :) ).

kusti8

Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:39 pm

At some point it doesn't become economical anymore to have a bigger SD card. It's best to get a small SD card and then a HDD and put the root on that. That way, 500 GB doesn't end up costing $1000.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

DougieLawson

Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:24 pm

There is no limit. The 32GB point is where Windows file systems swap from FAT to exFAT and those aren't bootable on any RPi.

You must have a bootable FAT partition on your SDCard (unless you're using USB or PXE booting).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

stderr

Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:25 pm

DougieLawson wrote:There is no limit.
I'm not sure that isn't getting a bit rambunctious. According to https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overv ... index.html , the largest offical sdxc standard is 2T using the exFAT file system. According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT , the exFAT file system supports more than 2T so it would seem the defined limit isn't defined by the file system itself. The same pages say that the highest spec for sdhc is 32gig defined using FAT32. According to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAT32 , the max size for FAT32 is 2T. Taken together, it would appear that the sdcard people have only defined sdhc to 32gig and sdxc to 2T. This could be why the original poster was talking 64gig in the pi questioningly.

It would be interesting to know what large sizes have actually been successfully used and whether or not there are issues with specific brands. Obviously there are issues with people getting stuck with fakes.

rpdom

Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:31 pm

stderr wrote:
I'm not sure that isn't getting a bit rambunctious. According to https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overv ... index.html , the largest offical sdxc standard is 2T using the exFAT file system. According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT , the exFAT file system supports more than 2T so it would seem the defined limit isn't defined by the file system itself.
The limit would be defined by the software interface specification. Number of addressable blocks x Block size. It depends how big a value is possible to request.

jahboater

Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:40 pm

Raspberry Pi 3. What is the maximum micro sd card that you can use?
On Raspbian.
The FAT /boot partition is 63MB so is never an issue.
The ext4 / partition may be over a billion gigabytes.

So whatever size SD card the OP can obtain, or wants to use, will be supported by Raspbian.
As Dougie says - "there is no limit" - (no practical limit anyway, as of October 2016).

64GB is trivially tiny for an ext4 volume and so works fine.
Last edited by jahboater on Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.Goode

Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:41 pm

Surely most OSes for RPi do not use windows compatible fat-based filesystems for the majority of the file store, only for the minimal /boot partition.

Perhaps the more relevant limit is the capacity of a 'linux' ext4 filesystem? Wikipedia suggests that is 1 Exabyte ( or Exibyte depending on the source.)

jahboater

Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:45 pm

B.Goode wrote:Surely most OSes for RPi do not use windows compatible fat-based filesystems for the majority of the file store, only for the minimal /boot partition.

Perhaps the more relevant limit is the capacity of a 'linux' ext4 filesystem? Wikipedia suggests that is 1 Exabyte ( or Exibyte depending on the source.)
Yes to both - and 1 exbibyte is not a limit in real terms!

B.Goode

Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:55 pm

@jahboater: apologies for the unintended overlap. I think it is clear we were both thinking on the same lines...

stderr

Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:43 pm

rpdom wrote:
stderr wrote:
I'm not sure that isn't getting a bit rambunctious. According to https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overv ... index.html , the largest offical sdxc standard is 2T using the exFAT file system. According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT , the exFAT file system supports more than 2T so it would seem the defined limit isn't defined by the file system itself.
The limit would be defined by the software interface specification. Number of addressable blocks x Block size. It depends how big a value is possible to request.
The limit should be defined by the smallest limit that affects the use of the sdcard. Having all experienced this numerous times with hard drives, sometimes the problem is the file system, FAT and the 540meg hard drive formatted to 504meg, Many times it was the BIOS, but also the interface or the file system, including at 2gig, 8gig, 137gig IDE limit, 32gig, 2tb and probably many other limits depending on specifically defective hardware and software. I remember something between 40gig and 80gig that seemed like it allowed formatting but then failed only after you added more than 40gig of data or something like that.

When I looked up the sdcard group's specification, I specifically also checked to make sure that the default file systems, FAT32 and exFAT, were not the max size limiters. Since they aren't, that means that the max sizes, 32gig and 2T, are the largest defined by the specification, according to the cite I posted, there might be some newer or different information elsewhere. Of course nothing prevents companies from finding ways around these sorts of things in their own special non-standard, perhaps, ways.

The original poster presciently asked about 64gig which is beyond the sdhd spec according to the cite I found. He also said that he'd heard that some people had had success with that size and perhaps some had not, depending on whatever. I've never had an sdcard larger than 32gig so I don't really know the answer.

peterlite

Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:42 am

Cameras have problems with card formats. Cards rarely work in cameras unless formatted in the camera. The Pi appears to have none of the problems you get with the tiny camera brain.

Cameras and the Pi image leave 4 MB empty at the start of the card. I manually created cards with zero empty space at the start. The camera failed to understand the FAT partition. The Pi booted. Therefore the Pi Zero is smarter than a $400 camera.

bensimmo

Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:06 am

Not sure where you get 32Gb from.

Recommended is a class6 8Gb size card (This is also a specific recommended card with noobs at pimeroni).
Noobs minimum is 8Gb rec. 4Gb for images...
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/setup/
But they do not mention a maximum.

But if you pop into the getting started tutorials then it basically says use what you want, or what you are prepared to pay ;-)
Just check it should work.

There is a list people have made here
http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards

jahboater

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:14 am

bensimmo wrote: But if you pop into the getting started tutorials then it basically says use what you want, or what you are prepared to pay ;-)
Precisely. Or what is available.
Amazon have many 128GB cards and some (mostly Sandisk or Kingston) 256GB cards.

Linux (Raspbian) doesn't care. I have used 64GB cards in the Pi. I don't need 128 or 256GB, but if I did, and was prepared to pay the extra, I have no doubt they would work fine.

16 or 32 GB seems to be the sweet spot price wise.

My favourites are any genuine Samsung evo or pro.

DougieLawson

Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:06 pm

jahboater wrote:
On Raspbian.

So whatever size SD card the OP can obtain, or wants to use, will be supported by Raspbian.
As Dougie says - "there is no limit" - (no practical limit anyway, as of October 2016).

There will be a limit somewhere in the ext4 code, but it's clearly way beyond 10TB (which seems to be the current physical limit for spinning chrome plated things - and that's way above my price range).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

bensimmo

Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:16 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
jahboater wrote:
On Raspbian.

There will be a limit somewhere in the ext4 code, but it's clearly way beyond 10TB (which seems to be the current physical limit for spinning chrome plated things - and that's way above my price range).
About £600 iirc.
SSD are much higher though at 60TB last time I read about it (seagate ?)

crotchrocket81

Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:49 pm

I received a 256 gig card for free when they were giving them away with the whole Samsung note 7 fiasco. Returned the phone but got to keep the card. Its a Samsung Evo plus and by skipping noobs and putting the raspian img directly onto it my pi runs it with no problems and recognizes the available space.

SniperTech

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:11 pm

How Did you format the Note 7 card to work with Raspberry Pi?

drgeoff

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:13 am

SniperTech wrote:How Did you format the Note 7 card to work with Raspberry Pi?
crotchrocket81 put an OS image on the card. No need to format before doing that.

pablito

Mon May 29, 2017 10:12 pm

I was getting errors when I inserted a 64GB SD card into my RPi3 in a USB card reader. Happened a few times but once I formatted it as MS-DOS (FAT) in OSX Disk Utility, it was fine. I have just copied Raspbian Jessie Lite onto three of these cards using Raspbian PIXEL's built-in SD card copier. They boot without problem in RPi3 and Pi Zero. The cards I used were SanDisk Ultra 64GB Micro SDXC, but I can't see why another make should have different results.

By the way, the original card was made using NOOBS, so 64GB cards can work with NOOBS too.

W. H. Heydt

Tue May 30, 2017 4:35 pm

I suppose that now that pretty much all of the technical issues have been thrashed out, another answer to the thread title might be in order....

How big an SD card can you afford?

hommar

Tue May 30, 2017 9:32 pm

first SDs was limit 4Gb because havе byte addressing (32bit address = 4Gbytes)
new SDs (SDHC/SDXC) have sector addressing
now 32bit address = 4G*sectors512b=2Tb

difference SDHC and SDXC is logical only
SDHC - FAT32, SDXC - exFAT (factory default)

drgeoff

Tue May 30, 2017 11:07 pm

hommar wrote:first SDs was limit 4Gb because havе byte addressing (32bit address = 4Gbytes)
SD spec version 1.00 had a limit of 1 Gbyte.
Version 1.01 enabled the possibility of 4 Gbyte SD cards (not SDHC) but they were very rare and many early SD devices could not support them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Di ... above_1_GB

lind777

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:53 pm

I just purchased a 1TB micro SD Card for $40 and I can not get it to work with a Raspberry PI 2. It came with exFAT format which I then reformatted to FAT32 (sdcardformatter which took two weeks to run and then fat32format program). Still no luck. When I apply power to the pi it just sits there and does nothing (bother green and red lights on). When I take an 8GB card with the same copied files it boots right up. Any thoughts?

Return to “Beginners”