iExitus

Car box preventing Phone use | ideas

Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:58 pm

Hey guys! :)

Im pretty new so dont blame me please :D

I was thinking what project I could make, something I need and I thought it propably would be fun to build a box preventing me from using my phone while driving. I now just put it in the back of my car what makes it hard to control the music etc and I would like to build something new :)

I read about a way integrating GPS and I think I understand how to get the raw data and thought about locking like a electro-magnetic lock for a box when driving over XXkm/h. That's the idea, do you think thats realizable? Or anything better, i'm open for ideas :) The rest I think wont be so difficult, probably place a charging cable and Aux cable for music in the box, connect the Pi to the car power and so on.

Thank for your help!

Mattb1969

Re: Car box preventing Phone use | ideas

Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:39 pm

Hi,

I kind of like your idea, but remember that if you are in a traffic jam, you are still ‘in control of a vehicle’ and therefore can still be prosecuted.

Is there any way you could use the Bluetooth interface and GPIO for button control of the phone. I have no idea how complex the bluetooth interface is for phone control, so that might be a big hurdle.

On a positive note, I have seen a demo of a GPS receiver that recorded the position and with some simple maths you could determine if the vehicle is moving. You could also connect the RPi to the vehicle diagnostic interface and using a CAN chip listen to the vehicles own bus which may also give you speed. You can buy CAN Bus to USB interfaces and they are relatively cheap.

DougieLawson

Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:43 pm

Won't those additional controls be just as much of a distraction? If you set XXkm/h to 0.0km/h that will make me happy. One of the members of my cycling club was killed while riding a time trial by a moron using his phone.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -campaigns
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

iExitus

Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:12 pm

I think you guys missunderstood what i meant :) i definitly want a box which is unable to open (locked perhaps with a electro-magnetic lock) when the car is moving. It should only be possible to take the phone out again when the car is parking again.
I'm not sure what you mean with additional control or what do you want to control by bluetooth?
And in the closed box I wanted to implement a charging cable and aux cable for music, just with 2 holes on top/bottom.

The idea with the diagnostic interface is pretty good! Just have to look if the car got something like that, it's not the newest:)

And i'm sorry for you :( that's exactly what I want to prevent. For now its the back of my car doing this, but id like something cool/fun to build.

Thanks for your advices! :)

DougieLawson

Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:51 pm

iExitus wrote:I think you guys missunderstood what i meant :) i definitly want a box which is unable to open ... when the car is moving.
You've got one of those, it's called the boot (aka trunk).
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

iExitus

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:52 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
iExitus wrote:I think you guys missunderstood what i meant :) i definitly want a box which is unable to open ... when the car is moving.
You've got one of those, it's called the boot (aka trunk).
Yes and as I said im actually using the back of my car, but that's either a good solution nor something fun to build. I don't get whats bad with the idea of a box, locking away the phone while driving but i see you wont help me here. So I pply have to figure it out by myselfe.
Thanks anyway.

maurice1

Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:26 am

Maybe using an alarm vibration sensor like on a window, with a MCP3008 analogue to digital convertor attached to a pi.
Those 2 components should be around £10.
The MCP could be programmed to any level of vibration eg. When the car is stationary or stationary with engine switched off, unless you drive a hybrid or electric car.

Alternatively why not power the solenoid lock by the hand brake.

B.Goode

Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:04 am

There may not be any RPi-related fun involved, but developing the self-discipline to simply not use a phone while you are in control of a vehicle would be a better approach.

Return to “Beginners”