jimisbell

Lost between beginer and Advanced

Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:18 am

I read and re read the beginners stickys and I think I have that memorized. Its pretty basic. But when I move on to Advanced I find that I am only understanding the language spoken, but not the concepts.

I have a Pi 3B. A loaded SD card (downloaded using my laptop). I have all the cables to attach the keyboard, HDMI TV, and the mouse. But all these are obvious where I connect them. No problems, basic stuff.

But where do I connect the fan? It didnt come with any instructions. I assume it connects to a couple of pins in the IO buss, but which ones?

I also bought an onboard clock with a 5 pin socket that also looks like it will go on the IO buss, but it too came with no instructions.

Which of the documents should I download to find this information?

joan

Re: Lost between beginer and Advanced

Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:35 am

We don't know what you bought. It's rather hard to give advice without knowing any details.

klricks

Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:41 am

jimisbell wrote:I read and re read the beginners stickys and I think I have that memorized. Its pretty basic. But when I move on to Advanced I find that I am only understanding the language spoken, but not the concepts.

I have a Pi 3B. A loaded SD card (downloaded using my laptop). I have all the cables to attach the keyboard, HDMI TV, and the mouse. But all these are obvious where I connect them. No problems, basic stuff.

But where do I connect the fan? It didnt come with any instructions. I assume it connects to a couple of pins in the IO buss, but which ones?

I also bought an onboard clock with a 5 pin socket that also looks like it will go on the IO buss, but it too came with no instructions.

Which of the documents should I download to find this information?
In most 'cases' the RPi does not need a fan. But probably it is a 5V fan which would be connected to pin 4 (5V) and pin 6 (GND). If it has a red and black wire then the red would go to 5V and black to GND.

You won't find documents for random 3rd party hardware at the RPF web site. You need to contact the seller for instructions. Provide a link and/or photo of the clock and maybe someone here will recognize it.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

jimisbell

Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:51 am

You misunderstood what I asked. I wasnt looking for documentation on the fan and the clock. I was looking for documentation on the I/O buss.

As to what I bought I assumed that these products were off the shelf items that everyone had. Most of the cases come with fans, are they ALL different?

drgeoff

Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:18 am

Any decent search engine will find you many pages with the GPIO header pinouts and other details.

Yes there are many different fans. And don't assume that a plug on the end of the cable can be pushed on to the GPIO pins.

asandford

Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:32 am

jimisbell wrote:.Most of the cases come with fans, are they ALL different?
None of the 'mainstream' cases for the Pi comes with a fan (that I've seen).

jimisbell

Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:55 am

asandford wrote:
OK, I guess I am asking the wrong question....So how does someone determine what a "mainstream" product is?

asandford

Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:01 am

jimisbell wrote: OK, I guess I am asking the wrong question....So how does someone determine what a "mainstream" product is?
These

klricks

Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:23 am

jimisbell wrote:
asandford wrote:
OK, I guess I am asking the wrong question....So how does someone determine what a "mainstream" product is?
See products here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/

You are more likely to get 3rd party products that work and have better support from some of the mainstream sellers such as Adafruit, The PiHut etc.

If you buy unbranded items out of China from Ebay, Amazon, Ali etc.... then you are likely to not get much support or documentation..... Items that barely work with a hacked image then quit working the first time you update the OS / kernel etc......
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

jimisbell

Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:30 am

asandford wrote:
jimisbell wrote: OK, I guess I am asking the wrong question....So how does someone determine what a "mainstream" product is?
These
And what is the common feature that distinguishes these from the one I have and makes them mainstream?

several look like mine

W. H. Heydt

Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:22 am

jimisbell wrote: I also bought an onboard clock with a 5 pin socket that also looks like it will go on the IO buss, but it too came with no instructions.
The only RTC (clock) type that I've used fits that description. It connects to the I2C bus, If you hold the Pi with the GPIO pins to the left side of the board (the end where the SD card goes toward you), it goes on the bottom 5 pins (closest to you) on the right/"inboard" row. *Edit to add...because one should strive to avoid omitting critical information.) The RTC mounts in a way to leave the outer pin unobstructed. That is, the RTC circuit board hangs over the Pi pcb, not sticking out over the edge.

To find guides on how to set it up, search for RTC instructions. Since Raspbian Jessie and the advent of the "dtoverlay" system, it is a whole lot easier than it used to be.

I have--let me think--four Pis with RTCs on them out of at over 20 Pis. I only put them on Pis that are going to be set up without network access, and one of them is act as an NTP server for other Pis when they're all on an isolated LAN.

And...FYI...in between Beginner and Advanced (as far as Forums go), there is "Troubleshooting"..

Cancelor

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:30 am

jimisbell wrote:
asandford wrote:
These
And what is the common feature that distinguishes these from the one I have and makes them mainstream?

several look like mine
Which ones do you have?
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

bensimmo

Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:02 am

There are only a few official RaspberryPi products one case, it has no fan.
And no RT clock.
Linked here again https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/

Unfortunately everything else is more complicated and your provider (shop you bought it from) should have instructions for use, especially that fan if it came in a bundle. They might have some software to control it under Raspian.
Same with the clock.

https://pinout.xyz has pinouts, bus types and basic setups and info and some links to more details info.
It is not official though, very few addons are.

It might be worth a look as mention at the larger 'geek' stores like adafruit, pihut, modmypi etc as these tend to have instructions and articles of use. If you didn't buy from there look for something similar and use that. Then pop here if it doesn't work as information can get out of date as Raspian package progresses. Troubleshooting would be a good place once you tried.

That is what I've found moving I to the 'intermediate' user while still being a beginner at it in my opinion.

The people on this forum can be very helpful and I mean they know it between them all.
But you'll need to explain what you have (product links and codes) which Pi and what you wish to achieve.

They have no idea which fan you have (link/codes?) Or which RTC (link/codes) and what you want out of them.
There are so many different ones and and you can damage either product.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:04 am

I've deleted some crud and mud-slinging from the thread. Please let's keep this on topic.
Thank you.
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

boyoh

Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:13 pm

texy wrote:I've deleted some crud and mud-slinging from the thread. Please let's keep this on topic.
Thank you.
Yes you are very correct, I was getting a bit of over the top.
I apologize for this, Thank you for your action

Regards BoyOh
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

fruitoftheloom

Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:37 pm

jimisbell wrote:
asandford wrote:
These

several look like mine
Check out these pages:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products

http://swag.raspberrypi.org/collections/useful

Though would be appreciated if you could provide a link to what you have purchased, stops ambiguity :D
Retired disgracefully.....

jimisbell

Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:20 pm

boyoh wrote:
texy wrote:I've deleted some crud and mud-slinging from the thread. Please let's keep this on topic.
Thank you.
Yes you are very correct, I was getting a bit of over the top.
I apologize for this, Thank you for your action

Regards BoyOh
I too apologize, I just got overwrought at the suggestion, should not have.

boyoh

Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:57 pm

The book I suggested is very good

Raspberry Pi
A practical guide to the revolutionary small computer

" Haynes" Raspberry Pi Owners Workshop Manual

By Gray Girling. Foreword by Eben and Liz Upton

I can recommend this, I have one

Regards BoyOh
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

jimisbell

Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:52 pm

I found several editions on EBay, is there a preferred edition for the 3B? Since the3B is so new the2B should do ...correct? It wont cover the WiFi but other than that it should be good??

Return to “Beginners”