arvindk

Increase dmesg font at startup

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:43 am

Hi

I have a problem with my eyesight and would like to see the text as the device is booting up. raspi-config doesa not allow this. I have no problem in gui where it is easy to increase the font size.

Any help greatly appreciated.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Increase dmesg font at startup

Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:15 pm

You can view the startup log later by typing

dmesg

Pipe that to a file, then look at it in the GUI using Geany or similar where you can increase font size.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

arvindk

Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:24 pm

Thanks Jamesh, I was aware of that, but I wanted to see the messages while starting up. If I direct dmsg to a file, I can use grep rather than pipe through 'more', but all this after the boot is complete.

Sometimes all you want to see is if a device is loading properly. With a big enough font, you can see this as the msg scrolls rapidly. Just saves time.

jahboater

Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:55 pm

I see what you want to do, but I would comment:
1) With systemd on a Pi3, they scroll past so fast that you cant read them no matter how large the text.
2) You don't normally need to check them every boot, the expectation is that it will boot correctly. Perhaps only check after adding a new device or some other tinkering.
3) My Pi's all run headless, so I cant see the messages anyway, I rely on dmesg for those rare occasions when something is wrong.

jamesh

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:06 pm

arvindk wrote:Thanks Jamesh, I was aware of that, but I wanted to see the messages while starting up. If I direct dmsg to a file, I can use grep rather than pipe through 'more', but all this after the boot is complete.

Sometimes all you want to see is if a device is loading properly. With a big enough font, you can see this as the msg scrolls rapidly. Just saves time.
OK, I don't think that is possible.

You can do

dmesg | grep 'search term'

btw, avoids saving to file.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:45 pm

In agreement with Jamesh I don't think the Pi has the capability of changing modes for the boot? (I know if your using something like Grub2 you can run it with nomodeset to bump up the fontsize, but with the bootloader configuration of the Pi I don't know if anything like that is possible.) But post boot you can always run `dmesg` or if you are on a systemd install you can run `journalctl -b` to pick up all the messages since last boot.
Account Inactive

arvindk

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:36 am

Thanks both to Jamesh and SOAMG(!)

I guess I will have to be content at the default font :( . I connect the Rpi to a 4K TV -- it is impossible for MY eyesight to read boot-time messages as they scroll past at breakneck speed.

Well I think that chapter is closed now. I do not think it it is worth even trying to hack the bootloader, which is beyond my limited capabilities anyway.

jojopi

Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:13 am

Of course it is possible to resize the console font:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup
The setting is applied relatively late in the boot sequence, however, so this may not help much if your only concern is the size of the boot messages themselves.

You can compile a bigger font into the kernel, but a simpler solution is to let the GPU do the scaling by reducing framebuffer_width and height in /boot/config.txt.

karrika

Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:58 am

I had this same problem on my RetroPie when I bought a 4" analog LCD. Just changing the console font size did show the startup messages during the RetroPie boot. There may be that something is missing from the start but at least I have no memorry of missing any important lines during the boot.

Return to “Beginners”