Riddeek

Help in surveillance system

Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:12 am

I have a rpi 3 which i am running headless, a PIR sensor, 5MP visible light Picam and i am interested in making a video surveillance system incorporated with the PIR sensor, my problem is that i need help with the proper code

Firstly, i have connected the pir sensor and i have tested it using this code

Code: Select all

from gpiozero import MotionSensor
pir = Motionsensor(7)
while True:
if pir.motion_detected:
print ("Motion Detected")
And i see the text "motion detected" on the putty ssh interface

Also i have been able to test the picam and install vlc on my pi and streamed a live video feed to my local network which was viewed with my laptop and phone using VLC player using the below code

raspivid -o - -t 0 -hf -vf -w 800 -h 400 -fps 24 |cvlc -vvv stream:///dev/stdin --sout '#standard{access=http,mux=ts,dst=:8160}' :demux=h264
After days of surfing the net, i discovered that almost all blogs made use of "motion" software. I don't need the camera to do any "background subtraction" or any DSP related stuff, i simply want to trigger it with my PIR sensor which unfortunately does not make motion my best choice.

Now what i want is that, each time the pir sensor detects motion i want it to :

(1)stream the video live to my local network

(2)save it to a predefined storage path (i have auto mounted a USB flash drive to my pi3)

(3) and lastly upload to dropbox (i have installed dropbox on my pi and i have gotten the API secret key and connected it to my dropbox account - i have even uploaded an image, i just want it to be automated in this process)

PS: pls do not forget that i am running the pi headless(putty)

I know it might be time consuming for whoever is willing to help, but i will really appreciate if someone can just post all the codes together which i will put in a python file and autorun anytime the pi is booted.

And please, please and please do not refer me to this link: https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/pa ... worksheet/ i have gone through it but didn't really put all the codes in one place for direct automation of the process. Thanks

Riddeek

Re: Help in surveillance system

Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:04 am

Gavinmc42

Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:54 am

Pi's are for the education market.
You are already 90% there, you just need the learn the last bit.
Rule of thumb, last 10% will take 90% of your time.

Could do it with shell script or python or.......
Google is your friend....
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

SkyRise

Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:02 pm

Your indentation in your code looks incorrect (or non-existent)

pir = Motionsensor(7)
while True:
    if pir.motion_detected:

Riddeek

Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:29 pm

SkyRise wrote:Your indentation in your code looks incorrect (or non-existent)

pir = Motionsensor(7)
while True:
    if pir.motion_detected:

Yeah dats how it is :roll:

Riddeek

Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:33 pm

Guys pls in using the raspivid command, how do i make it save the video to a predefined path. Whats the correct code for that, i have been searching google but it seems a lot of pple rather save in the directory in which they run their code but in my case i want to save the video to an external USB flash drive which i have automounted on the pi.

stderr

Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:03 pm

Riddeek wrote:Guys pls in using the raspivid command, how do i make it save the video to a predefined path. Whats the correct code for that, i have been searching google but it seems a lot of pple rather save in the directory in which they run their code but in my case i want to save the video to an external USB flash drive which i have automounted on the pi.

Display camera output to display, and optionally saves an H264 capture at requested bitrate
usage: raspivid [options]
Image parameter commands
-?, --help      : This help information
-w, --width     : Set image width <size>. Default 1920
-h, --height    : Set image height <size>. Default 1080
-b, --bitrate   : Set bitrate. Use bits per second (e.g. 10MBits/s would be -b 10000000)
-o, --output    : Output filename <filename> (to write to stdout, use '-o -')
I ran raspivid --help on a pi and it presented the above details on how to use it, truncated here at the point where it tells you how to save the output with a specific file name and location.

Riddeek

Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:44 pm

Yeah i saw that and i tried it but i got an error. Can someone please post an example for me to follow. I really need the output on the flash drive

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:52 am

What command did you use, what flags (did you use -o) and what error did you get?
Account Inactive

Return to “Beginners”