Pomgonewalkabout

Frustrating

Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:10 am

I have a Pi 3 running the latest version of Jessie but why can't I see the SD card copying utility under menu and accessories?

The answer is because you have to download piclone.

Why does Raspberry Pi org not tell you this? All you read is that the latest version has this utility but nowhere does it say to get it working you need piclone.

Frustrated beginner.

Pomgonewalkabout

Re: Frustrating

Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:17 am

Or do you?

fruitoftheloom

Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:29 am

Pomgonewalkabout wrote:Or do you?
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... e-raspbian

Though I personally always update a fresh install to bring it bang up to date:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

HawaiianPi

Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:34 pm

Pomgonewalkabout wrote:I have a Pi 3 running the latest version of Jessie but why can't I see the SD card copying utility under menu and accessories?

The answer is because you have to download piclone.

Why does Raspberry Pi org not tell you this? All you read is that the latest version has this utility but nowhere does it say to get it working you need piclone.

Frustrated beginner.
News to me. I've never had to download anything. If you really have the latest version of Jessie (not Jessie-Lite), then it should be there. So tell us exactly how you made your SD card, and then we can tell you what you're doing wrong.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Pomgonewalkabout

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:30 pm

Hi thanks for taking the time to reply and hopefully lend a hand in solving my problem.
I have a pi 3 and a copy of Noobs which I installed and booted up.

I connect the pi to my modem

I then type sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

I reboot

When I click on menu accessories there is no SD copier option listed.

I have three pi 3's that all have the same oroblem and I do not understand why?

I have the same problem getting bluetooth to work as well having to download bluez blueman to get that to work.

I had two of these Rasoberry Pi's running a GPS tracking code that connects to a bluetooth modem
and spits out the data.

But yesterday trying to get the SD card copier utility to show up I installed piclone then SD card copier appeared under menu accessories.

I tried copying my micro SD card and then whenever I ran my GOS logger it came up with a load of errors in the terminal window. Mistly about 2.7 Python and zero from memory

Through swapping and changing hats and Pi's and SD cards I deduced that it was the card that was corrupted. Because one Pi that does not SD card utility still runs my GPS program with no errors. Putting that micro sd OS card in the other pi works.

So I reinstalled the OS by clicking on shift and then did the update and the upgrade and this time the Bluetooth icon is there and pairs with a device but will not work until I install bluez etc.

Under Accessories there is no SD card utility showing up.

Okay so here I am an ex Pom living in Australia and the only internet service I have is wireless with wait for it....8GB a month in bandwidth because I live in a rural area but hey the peace solitude and wildlife makes up for it.

So this is the reason I buy noobs because if I download Rasparian it takes over an hour and uses about 1gb of bandwidth or more.

Maybe my problem is using noobs?

HawaiianPi

Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:39 am

Pomgonewalkabout wrote:...Okay so here I am an ex Pom living in Australia and the only internet service I have is wireless with wait for it....8GB a month in bandwidth because I live in a rural area but hey the peace solitude and wildlife makes up for it.

So this is the reason I buy noobs because if I download Rasparian it takes over an hour and uses about 1gb of bandwidth or more.

Maybe my problem is using noobs?
Your problem is buying NOOBS. You're obviously getting an old version, because the latest versions of NOOBS (1.9.2) and Raspbian Jessie (2016-05-27) both have all you need for WiFi, Bluetooth and the SD Card Copier.

2016-05-27-raspbian-jessie.zip is 1.29 GB (1,393,896,178 bytes)
NOOBS_v1_9_2.zip is 0.99 GB (1,069,603,428 bytes)

Downloading with a torrent might be faster, but it will use more data.

Alternative options...

Look for another seller, or contact the one you bought it from and ask for the latest version (you definitely got an old one).

Ask family or friends with better Internet to download it for you.

Or maybe there is another forum member in Australia that could help you out (yea, I know, it's a very big place, but you never know...)?
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Pomgonewalkabout

Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:25 pm

Yes the issue is with Noobs because I managed to use a friends Broadband service and downloaded the latest Version of Jessie and my pi now boots up and straight away I can see the SD card copier utility and bluetooth icon.

What I do not understand is if I am purchasing an old version of Noobs why when I run update and dist upgrade does bluetooth and the SD card copier not appear automatically without having to install other libraries.

Noobs takes forever to unpack so I am thinking it is more trouble than it is worth especially for beginners

Anyway I have solved my immediate problem.
Thanks for your help

kusti8

Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:28 pm

Pomgonewalkabout wrote:Yes the issue is with Noobs because I managed to use a friends Broadband service and downloaded the latest Version of Jessie and my pi now boots up and straight away I can see the SD card copier utility and bluetooth icon.

What I do not understand is if I am purchasing an old version of Noobs why when I run update and dist upgrade does bluetooth and the SD card copier not appear automatically without having to install other libraries.

Noobs takes forever to unpack so I am thinking it is more trouble than it is worth especially for beginners

Anyway I have solved my immediate problem.
Thanks for your help
Because Linux doesn't install new packages that you may not want when certain things need an upgrade. Nothing depends on piclone, so there's no reason to install it if you upgrade everything else.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Return to “Beginners”