SierraVR6T

Air Pressure comtroller

Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:14 pm

Hello Guys and Gals ..... I had a bit of a late night Epiphany
We have various inflatable toy and beds for the kids and during last summer I spend most of my time blowing the up and then blow them up again. instead of being a cool day and playing with them.

I was thinking about using a mini computer to control the electric Air Compressor I have ... I'm thinking I could have various air pressure pre-set and a number of valves so I could blow up maybe 4 things at once using the mini computer to shut the valve when it reaches the pre-set pressure for the toy.

Then the cool bit would be for the big static toys the pressure can be monitored and when it drops to a pre-set PSI the computer open the valve and the air in the compressors tank tops it up.

I'm not sure i'm in the right place but any advice will be great ... look forward to hearing from someone

ElEscalador

Re: Air Pressure comtroller

Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:24 pm

Ridiculously overkill? Ok, maybe cool but wayyy harder than just using a pressure switch to turn the compressor on and off. You could use the swtich to tell the Pi to turn the compressor on. Start with wiringpi and develop the ability to turn LEDs on and off with a switch. from there adapting to compressor control should be easy. If you want the ability to read/display the pressure - that's another can of wormsas youll need a pressure transducer and an analog to digital convertor...
My Autonomous Robot Project and a few of my other projects below.

https://lloydbrombach.wordpress.com/

brekee12

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:09 am

MPX (2100) family is a simple using preassure sensor and you need an analog to digital converter to read it's output. Electronically not to complicated, the real cost is the electric preassure valve or the compressor. If you use compressor without preassure reserve tank you can switch that on/off by a relay.
Brekee12
on a Raspberry B+ with whezzy, two Zero with Jessie Light

edo1

Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:16 pm

There is low-cost ABP series from Honeywell, we use ABPLANT005PG2A3 sensor:
http://www.tme.eu/en/details/abplant005 ... honeywell/
It works great and it is priced reasonably.

If you want cheaper solution you can look at Bosch BMP085/180/280. But they are absolute pressure sensors, so you need two sensors to calculate relative pressure. And they do no allow to connect tube, so you could have (or not have) trouble to integrate it into your product.

klricks

Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:48 pm

What kind of pump are you using?
Are you blowing up a 20 foot 'bounce house'.
A simple low pressure / high volume pump can blow up toys and beds in just a few minutes.
If you are trying to use an automotive / air tool compressor then that will take hours.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

boyoh

Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:07 pm

Is this air bed project is for the kids ??, All the jumping and bouncing
On the air beds , will have to be controlled by the pressure sensors.
Best of luck with the control panel and pumps starting and stopping,

Have a walk into Ann Summers, you might get all the gear from there.

Best of luck BoyOh
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

Return to “Beginners”