dasmanul

Re: so frustrated

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:17 pm

Okay, thanks. You seem to have done a lot of things as root, using 'sudo' which I wouldn't recommend. However, to get you up and running as fast as possible, we'll leave it at that for now. Please enter

Code: Select all

sudo crontab -e
and delete the last 2 lines (starting with '*/1'). Then enter a new line like this:

* * * * * /usr/bin/temperv14 >> /home/pi/temperv14/temper1.txt
This should put the output of the temperv14 command into the specified file every minute. To verify, wait a couple of minutes and then enter

cat /home/pi/temperv14/temper1.txt
Please note that the leading '/' before 'home' is important - you seem to have omitted that in a couple of places.

Let us know whether that works.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:19 pm

dasmanul wrote:Okay, thanks. You seem to have done a lot of things as root, using 'sudo' which I wouldn't recommend. However, to get you up and running as fast as possible, we'll leave it at that for now. Please enter

sudo crontab -e
and delete the last 2 lines (starting with '*/1'). Then enter a new line like this:

This should put the output of the temperv14 command into the specified file every minute. To verify, wait a couple of minutes and then enter

Please note that the leading '/' before 'home' is important - you seem to have omitted that in a couple of places.

A way to watch the output in the file is to use "tail -f <filename>". The "-f" makes tail "follow" the file contents rather than just giving you the last few lines and then stopping (or even the whole file as "cat" does).

loopylee

Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:23 am

dasmanul wrote:Okay, thanks. You seem to have done a lot of things as root, using 'sudo' which I wouldn't recommend. However, to get you up and running as fast as possible, we'll leave it at that for now. Please enter

sudo crontab -e

That is perfect, it is now doing exactly what i wanted it to do.

Thanks you very much, and thanks to you all for your patience.

dasmanul

Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:09 am

Thanks for the feedback, glad I could help. Have fun with your Pi (and your greenhouse)! ;)

Cancelor

Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:07 am

I'm very glad to see this is solved and want to add praise for dasmanul in achieving it. :D If we had a 'citizen of the month' award then he would be my nomination.

There have been a few very frustrated posts recently. I'm wondering if there is a collective way we can all learn how to handle them?
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

dasmanul

Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:02 am

Ah, come on, now you've made me blush. :D I have a rather low tolerance for frustration myself, so I just couldn't let it sit...

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:29 pm

Cancelor wrote:I'm very glad to see this is solved and want to add praise for dasmanul in achieving it. :D If we had a 'citizen of the month' award then he would be my nomination.

There have been a few very frustrated posts recently. I'm wondering if there is a collective way we can all learn how to handle them?
You handle them with patience, understanding and sympathy. You remind yourself that we were *all* beginners at one point, so be welcoming to those new to any subject. Someday they may be the expert that *you* go to for answers when you are frustrated.

(I read threads like this to fill gaps in my own knowledge. Sometimes I learn something and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I may even find some point I can contribute to.)

Return to “Beginners”