jehan60188

powering RPi via computer's usb port?

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:22 pm

I know i've read that my computer's usb port shouldn't be used to power the Rpi, because it can't supply sufficient current, but it seems that for usb 3.0 the "USB-IF has upped the maximum bus power output from about 500 mA to 900 mA" http://www.techspot.com/guides/235-ever ... ut-usb-30/

so it seems usb 3.0 will be able to provide more than enough power?

bredman

Re: powering RPi via computer's usb port?

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:28 pm

Some people have reported success, but there are no guarantees.

RaTTuS

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:37 pm

when I powered it from my computer usb ports it worked fine ... I've now moved it elsewhere
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

JoeDaStudd

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:40 pm

It depends on what your planning on running on the Raspberry Pi and any extras like usb dongles, wifi adapters, etc .
I've heard of good quality 750mamp mains adapters failing to supply enough to run a wifi adapter and the RasPi at full load.
Then again for headless with no usb devices I can't see why it wouldn't work.

To to fair the best solution in terms of powering the RasPi via a desktop computer would probably using a pc psu which has a usb connection on the back for charging mobile phones as it will be rated (ampage wise) much higher then any standard usb port.

yttriuszzerbus

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:10 pm

This is definitely possible, but your USB port might not be able to supply enough power for many peripherals. Also, if your PC switches off (think Windows Update), it'll take your RasPi with it. Putting "usb wall charger" into Amazon.co.uk, I see some that cost only £3-4, and it's definitely worth the small investment.

Jim JKla

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:16 pm

Mine worked fine but I have since moved to a Belkin 7 Port Powered 6v 4a Hub F5U010.

Spec only supplied because every time I mentioned it I've been asked the spec ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

Return to “Beginners”