ClemFandango

Putting a Pi Zero inside a SNES Cartridge ..

Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:08 am

or at least trying to ! :)

I found this on imgur a while ago ..

http://imgur.com/gallery/09Rs8

and thought i'd like to try and replicate it, even though i'm really not very well versed in tinkering and this sort of thing. It seemed - and seems - straightforward-ish though.

I had a couple of questions. I've got a cartridge and an SPST switch to start with and - obviously - the Pi Zero as well as the HDMI adaptor and some USB leads.

What would be the best types of file to get to file down the plastic on a SNES cartridge ?.

Also, if you've looked at the link and seen the 4th picture with the Pi Zero installed, does that look like any particular glue that i'd need as well ?. It appears the person has glued some nuts to the inside of the cartridge to enable the Pi to be screwed in and mounted properly, but I wouldn't want to get the wrong type and cause any problems.

Thanks in advance :)

ClemFandango

Re: Putting a Pi Zero inside a SNES Cartridge ..

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:57 pm

I also actually forgot to ask initially about the wiring used in the example. Is it anything specific or is it just any old electrical wire?

TonyD

Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:35 pm

ClemFandango wrote: What would be the best types of file to get to file down the plastic on a SNES cartridge ?.
Needle files are usually good for this type of work. A dremel power tool and grinding wheel would also do and be much quicker
Also, if you've looked at the link and seen the 4th picture with the Pi Zero installed, does that look like any particular glue that i'd need as well ?.
It looks like hot glue
Tony

ClemFandango

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:33 pm

TonyD wrote:
ClemFandango wrote: What would be the best types of file to get to file down the plastic on a SNES cartridge ?.
Needle files are usually good for this type of work. A dremel power tool and grinding wheel would also do and be much quicker
Also, if you've looked at the link and seen the 4th picture with the Pi Zero installed, does that look like any particular glue that i'd need as well ?.
It looks like hot glue
Brilliant, thanks for your response. I'll add them to my shopping list. I might also try and get a spare SNES cartridge in case of the inevitable and I screw it up the first time :)

Return to “Beginners”