asaevies

Thermocouple

Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:22 am

How can I interface thermocouple with raspberry pi?
I want to measure temperature of heated steel and record the same after small interval of time.
please help me in hardware as wel as in programming.
I have Ubuntu mate.
thank you.

rotwang

Re: Thermocouple

Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:24 pm

You need to give more detail, but basically google for "thermocouple i2c" which will give you any number of chips specifically designed to handle thermocouples. These will do the essential "cold junction compensation" for you. Finally you need to work out which thermocouple type you need for your planned temperature range and select a chip for the same type, I suggest you start by looking at Type K, which is probably the most common type. and covers the range -270C to +1260C (Wikipedia).
You will also need to consider how you get the thermocouple into contact with your steel specimen.
Roger
asaevies wrote:How can I interface thermocouple with raspberry pi?
I want to measure temperature of heated steel and record the same after small interval of time.
please help me in hardware as wel as in programming.
I have Ubuntu mate.
thank you.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:14 pm

Perhaps the simplest hardware approach, especially if a type K thermocouple is appropriate, is to interface the Pi to a DMM/Thermocouple combo. as I do here:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... 000zc.html
That has the advantage of giving you a "direct" readout with the Pi acting as a "data logger" for subsequent post-processing, graph generation etc.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

robin48gx

Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:03 pm

You could use a TH7 pi hat for thermocouples.

Return to “Beginners”