RemotePiShack

getting software via USB drive

Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:42 pm

Hello, my name is Brian. I am wanting to explore the functionality of my Raspberry Pi. I bought the preloaded SD card and it installed fine. I did this at the internet cafe. But the monitor and keyboard and mouse and power supply and all the cables are a headache to haul into the cafe every time I want a new app. I have no internet access at home. I have to go to a internet cafe to download software, put it on a thumb drive, and bring it home and install it. That has always worked for my older windows machine. But I can't figure out how to do it on the Pi. I go to the Pi Store and since I am on the cafe's windows machine, I can't even get it to begin downloading. How do I go about this? How do I pay for the apps? I am wanting a good video player for the Pi. And I want a Bible word-searching app that includes the KJV Bible. Sooner or later I want to start experimenting with the GPIO pins and I assume I need an app to operate them too.

RemotePiShack

Re: getting software via USB drive

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:44 pm

Navyscourge wrote:The Pi Store is no more, defunct... viewtopic.php?f=83&t=130379&sid=183bc24 ... e6b4e2246e
Okay, then how do I get apps? I am a total newbie at any type of linux, so please give me instructions like you are talking to a baby.

fruitoftheloom

Re: getting software via USB drive

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:51 pm

Ideally you need Internet Connection.

Though if you have installed Raspbian Jessie Operating System most of what you state you require is included.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

There is tons of information on the RPF Website and in the MagPi Magazine
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Return to “Beginners”