rasbeer

"Networking for beginners"

Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:18 am

Shortly after realising that I'd come into possesion of enough computers for networking them to be worthwhile, I realised that I knew nothing about networking. I'd come across linuxhomenetworking.com & decided to read it.

At that point, I realised I knew less than nothing about networking. So I dug about a bit looking for something more basic. Unfortunately a lot of online material says things like "There is far too much to explain first principles here; so I will assume that you have read up on this stuff and are ready for a practical example".

But I think I (& anyone else in my position) needs *some* first principles to understand the practical details. Is there anything out there that provides a basic but digestible overview summary of networking - aimed at about the right intellectual level for a precocious tween - in a way that fills this gap?

Mister_C

Re: "Networking for beginners"

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:12 pm

Try here:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NET3-4-HOWTO.html

Its a linux "howto" on networking written back in the days when "doing it the hard way" was about the easiest way to do it.

Jim JKla

Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:37 pm

The easiest way to learn about networking is to get two computers and connect them to a switch (router) most people on broadband these days have a router.

With the advent of the RPi a Home computer and a second (your RPi) is no longer a major budget issue.

Most home routers are set up to use DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) this allocates an IP adress from a preset list for your router.

If you can access your router usually by using your browser you may be able to find out which IP addresses have been handed out or even which one specifically where.

So your RPi has one address and your PC or whatever has another and a program like putty (free) should enable you to look at the RPi with the PC.

There's some noob stuff on this in the wiki.

Post back if you get lost I'll keep this on watch
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

Fabrikk

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:59 am

Hi
my network is based on a router with DHCP disabled (for security reasons)
Honestly I'd need a GUI network manager interface to set IP, SubNet and Gateway on my Pi
and possibly I'd need to know the macaddress of my Pi.
Which packages should I install?

M.M

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:22 am

Hi Fabrikk,

if you want to know the MAC-address of your pi you can enter

Code: Select all

ifconfig | grep HWaddr
in a terminal.

If you installed one of the distros with a GUI, you should have everything you need to configure your network interface. Most desktop environments, like LXDE or GNOME, have some kind of "network manager" to configure your network settings.

@rasbeer: For a general overview of networking maybe the video on this site is worth your time: http://www.warriorsofthe.net/ I enjoyed it a lot during my job training :)

If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Regards
"If people read the FAQs the Qs wouldn't be A F, would they?"

Fabrikk

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:39 am

Ummm I have installed the Wheezy from download section of this site
But I cannot find anything like the connection manager I used un MINT (for example)
(but I am a total noob in linux)

M.M

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:07 am

Hi Fabrikk,

so your desktop environment is LXDE. Does this article help you? http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCMan%27s_Compl ... etup_Guide

It seems like the network manager might be disabled by default but can be enabled.

Regards
"If people read the FAQs the Qs wouldn't be A F, would they?"

rasbeer

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:18 pm

I just revisited this & the Pi & found Dan's CCNA 1 youtube videos very helpful.

I didn't have any luck getting a signal from the Pi on a TV (via both composite & HDMI) a couple of days ago, so I thought I'd try it headless, initially connected directly to a laptop's ethernet. First I set up the Pi's /etc/network/interfaces with a static address (copied from here here):

iface eth0 inet static

address 192.168.1.6
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
The LNK & 10M LEDs lit up, & after sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 I could SSH in to the Pi. :)

But the SSH connection kept freezing; my IP address was reverting to the old value on wlan0. I guess there's a way to toggle off DHCP, but I thought it would be handier to connect the Pi via ethernet to the router (with a static IP).

The router's settings are

Primary IP address: 10.0.0.138
Netmask: 255.0.0.0
I edited that bit of /etc/network/interfaces to:

iface eth0 inet static
        address 10.0.0.137
        netmask 255.0.0.0
        gateway 10.0.0.138
Unless I've misunderstood, 10.0.0.137 & 10.0.0.138 are both in the (voluminous) 10.0.0.0/8
network, and that should be enough for the router to find the Pi, and for the Pi's requests for web pages etc to get routed to the internet. But the LNK & 10M lights just flashed a few times and went out.

I managed to get a similar setup working with a TP Link WR703N modem the other day, so I think the cables & router ethernet ports are ok. The power supply was different to the one I used on the PC, but the power LED looked steady enough.

One oddity I noticed during this was the Pi's OK LED didn't light when connected to the laptop, but lit up when connected to the router... :?

Any ideas for net troubleshooting steps?

rasbeer

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:29 am

^^^ I meant "next" troubleshooting steps...

Return to “Beginners”