Aleksandaarrr

Help me decide

Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:01 pm

Hey, I want to do a small project for myself as a hobby and it is a media center which I will use for streaming videos, music, pictures to my tv. I want that to be as small as possible and Raspberry Pi is a solution. But here is the problem. I have a Samsung Smart TV UHD (4K) which is as I could see on different forums hard to stream to, through HDMI with this small computer or any other small computer from other manufacturer. So what I have thought about is using Plex on this small computer to stream through my network to TV, because it supports Plex and I can control it from my remote controller of TV (which is nice and easily). No encoding will be necessary for now, only sending these files over network to Plex on my tv. I have a gigabit network so gigabit ethernet connection is important for big files is guess.

So why i write this all is because I want you guys to suggest me and help what to do. I don't know if this thoughts are correct, do you have any other suggestions? And if this small computer is a solution, WHICH ONE? There are so many out there and I don't know which one will fulfil my needs, I want to create a media center that will support 4K movies now and in few years too. RPi people suggest RPi, BPi suggest BPi and I don't know what to do and what will be easiest way to go. I know that ResPlex don't support BPi and that's maybe a bad thing but on benchmarks BPi Pro is much better than RPi 2 B in everything except multithreading and I don't need that, I will need a gigabit ethernet and sata connection that will guarantee that even big files will be sent fast to my TV.

Best regards,
Aleksandar

elatllat

Re: Help me decide

Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:16 pm

SBC with 32GB RAM: https://hardkernel.com

FAQ : https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com

Unanswered: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/search.php?search_id=unanswered

GTR2Fan

Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:46 pm

Discussion on Raspberry Pi2B vs Banana Pi Pro on 'neutral territory'...

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=227126
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

Aleksandaarrr

Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:50 pm

Thank you guys that helped a bit, but they are talking about Kodi whole time which won't work with 4k on RPi or BPi and I want to stream Plex from it which is not the same as far as I know, Kodi need to decode the picture and send it to the TV through hdmi and my solution only has to stream it to my TV and it will do the job? Am I right? If I am in that case network and sata are most important I would say?

No no I am not out here to make crazy discussion only to get real feedback from people that have tried RPi or BPi or both

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:05 pm

Aleksandaarrr wrote:Hey, I want to do a small project for myself as a hobby and it is a media center which I will use for streaming videos, music, pictures to my tv. I want that to be as small as possible and Raspberry Pi is a solution. But here is the problem. I have a Samsung Smart TV UHD (4K) which is as I could see on different forums hard to stream to, through HDMI with this small computer or any other small computer from other manufacturer. So what I have thought about is using Plex on this small computer to stream through my network to TV, because it supports Plex and I can control it from my remote controller of TV (which is nice and easily). No encoding will be necessary for now, only sending these files over network to Plex on my tv. I have a gigabit network so gigabit ethernet connection is important for big files is guess.

So why i write this all is because I want you guys to suggest me and help what to do. I don't know if this thoughts are correct, do you have any other suggestions? And if this small computer is a solution, WHICH ONE? There are so many out there and I don't know which one will fulfil my needs, I want to create a media center that will support 4K movies now and in few years too. RPi people suggest RPi, BPi suggest BPi and I don't know what to do and what will be easiest way to go. I know that ResPlex don't support BPi and that's maybe a bad thing but on benchmarks BPi Pro is much better than RPi 2 B in everything except multithreading and I don't need that, I will need a gigabit ethernet and sata connection that will guarantee that even big files will be sent fast to my TV.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=100625

"""I will need a gigabit ethernet and sata connection"""

That is not feasible with RPi.......
Retired disgracefully.....

Aleksandaarrr

Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:40 pm

Have read that post earlier but thanks anyway, I have found out that my tv doesn't support higher speed thatn 100mb/s so I think that I wills tick with RPi because of the support and ethernet speed will be same as on the tv and in that case I guess sata connection is not necessary?

Return to “Beginners”