Wizzabeck

Can't set up Pizero (SOLVED)

Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:40 pm

I have
Pizero with connectors from December Magpi cover.
Firefox ZTE phone charger, 5v 700mWatts.
Maplin 2.4G keyboard and mouse.
Maplin 16GiB micro sd.

I have downloaded NOOBS_v1_5_0.zip to a Mint laptop, opened NOOBS with Archive Manager and Extracted to a new Pi folder.
I have formatted the SD as fat32 with GParted on the Mint machine, opened the SD and dragged all the files to it from the Pi folder .
I then put the bits together, powered up everything except the Pi (having
previously checked the keyboard and mouse on the laptop) and then powered the Pi. The activity LED lights up but after a minute the screen of the monitor displays No Input and shuts down. After firing up the screen a few times with no change I removed power from the Pi and transfered the SD to the laptop.
GParted displays the shot below: .

There is a wpa_supplicant.conf file containing:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ap_scan=1

network={
key_mgmt=NONE
}

and a noobs.conf file containing:

[General]
display_mode=0
keyboard_layout=gb
language=en

Oh. I boobed with the image. GParted reports:

/dev/sdb1 fat32 label RECOVERY size1.12GiB 1.03GiB used 92.87MiB unused
/dev/sdb2 extended size 13.33GiB
unallocated 2.82MiB
/dev/sdb5 ext4 /media/cbuffer/SETTINGS label SETTINGS size 32MiB used 2.41MiB
unallocated size 13.3GiB

I've been through this four times but the result is always the same. Can someone suggest a solution?

TIA, Ken
Last edited by Wizzabeck on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Can't set up Pizero

Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:24 pm

NOOBS has its own partitioning scheme:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/wi ... -explained
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

drgeoff

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:08 pm

What screen and how connected to the Zero?

B.Goode

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:33 pm

I think Dr Geoff is onto something and is nudging you in the right direction.

The content of the SD card reported by GParted shows that the RPi has booted the NOOBS Installer from your prepared SD card and has done the initial re-partitioning of the card ready for the installation of an Operating System. Because you have not been able to see the prompts on the screen, no OS has yet been installed.

So the outstanding problem is to work out why your PiZero is not displaying output on your monitor - as DrGeoff says, more information is required since you don't mention that in your 'shopping list'.

Wizzabeck

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:41 pm

I'm using a Logik television model L19LDIB11 B. It has two inputs 1 and 2. I have used it for three years as a monitor for one of my desktops using Suse, Mint and Debian always plugged into HDMI 1 with an expensive cable bought when I bought the television. It rarely gets moved so I doubt the cable is faulty but I could try another in extremis. For the the third attempt today I tried switching to HDMI 2 with no advantage - the install stopped with the same GParted report. The cable is plugged into the zero via Magpi's usb adaptor. If I use the keyboard to enter 1 the activity LED remains lit but if I enter 2 the LED switches off. When I tried this I was using the cable in HDMI 1, didn't think to try it when plugged into HDMI 2. With all the dire warnings about using a sufficiently powerful 5v. supply I was wondering if that could be a problem. I have a multi voltage device which can supply 1.2 amps through laptop type plugs - could get the iron out and bodge a mini usb plug conversion if that is thought necessary.

Thanks for looking, Ken

Wizzabeck

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:52 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:NOOBS has its own partitioning scheme:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/wi ... -explained
Than you fruitoftheloom that's an interesting site I haven't seen. This is really a dry run before introducing a young lad to Pi 2 but it's beginning to intrigue me in its own right.

Ken

jahboater

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:16 pm

The cable is plugged into the zero via Magpi's usb adaptor.
Have you tried plugging it directly into the micro hdmi socket? (or was the "usb" bit a typo?).

drgeoff

Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:43 pm

I doubt that the PSU is the current problem.

Check that the mini-HDMI plug is fully home into the Zero's socket.

Rather than NOOBS, I would put the latest Raspbian image directly on the card, at least to troubleshoot this. That defaults to outputting to the HDMI if an HDMI display is connected and powered on before booting the RPi.

Wizzabeck

Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:53 pm

jahboater wrote:
The cable is plugged into the zero via Magpi's usb adaptor.
Have you tried plugging it directly into the micro hdmi socket? (or was the "usb" bit a typo?).
Not so much a typo, more a brain malfunction:)) That is, Magpi's standard to mini HDMI connector

Ken

Wizzabeck

Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:11 pm

[quote="drgeoff"

Check that the mini-HDMI plug is fully home into the Zero's socket.

Rather than NOOBS, I would put the latest Raspbian image directly on the card, at least to troubleshoot this. That defaults to outputting to the HDMI if an HDMI display is connected and powered on before booting the RPi.[/quote]

Yes I've almost worn out the plug and socket since such small devices are suspect.

If I was doing this for myself I would simply install Jessie and get on with it but I shall be doing it for real via a Microsoft machine with a Pi2 away from home. Until I can sort out my own device via the prescribed process I'm not going to be confident I can get things working. I shall be installing using a DVI -D monitor just to compound things.

Ken

drgeoff

Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:46 pm

I wrote "... at least to troubleshoot this." Once you get something on the screen you can be more confident that all the hardware is OK and can turn your attention to software and configuration settings.

Wizzabeck

Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:12 pm

drgeoff wrote:I wrote "... at least to troubleshoot this." Once you get something on the screen you can be more confident that all the hardware is OK and can turn your attention to software and configuration settings.
Yes I missed the significance of that :( I picked up another micro sd today and will try Jessie tomorrow.

Thank you , Ken

Wizzabeck

Re: Can't set up Pizero (SOLVED)

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:20 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, especially those who have offered thoughts and suggestions, I'm afraid I've been wasting your time. The solution hit me when I woke this morning. While I normally use the Logik TV with HDMI input the last time I used it was with an old laptop with a VGA cable and had altered the input to PC. Changed it to HDMI 1 and NOOBS is at present completing the install. My apologies to you all.

Ken

BMS Doug

Re: Can't set up Pizero (SOLVED)

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:31 pm

At least it was a simple fix.

These things happen.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Return to “Beginners”