4NeverAPi

Possible to use SD Card over 8GB?

Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:36 pm

I just got a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B, but it won't boot with an SD card over 8 GB. Is this normal? I read through the formatting guides and I've tried a 32 and 64GB card. Formatted both as FAT32 using the tools in the guide. The only one that will boot is an 8GB card. Is there a special trick to using a larger card? I'd like to have more than 8 GB of storage, since that's just enough for the OS and not much else. I can't even install a web browser or media player software once the OS is installed.

jbudd

Re: Possible to use SD Card over 8GB?

Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:44 pm

Well I have a Pi model A happily running on a 16GB micro SD card.

Apparently you have to take care not to format larger, SDXC cards as exFAT. Maybe this post is relevant: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... matting.md

mikronauts

Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:50 pm

I use Pi's all the time with 16GB and 32GB cards without problems.

I dd a Raspbian image onto them, boot, resize the fs. Done.
4NeverAPi wrote:I just got a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B, but it won't boot with an SD card over 8 GB. Is this normal? I read through the formatting guides and I've tried a 32 and 64GB card. Formatted both as FAT32 using the tools in the guide. The only one that will boot is an 8GB card. Is there a special trick to using a larger card? I'd like to have more than 8 GB of storage, since that's just enough for the OS and not much else. I can't even install a web browser or media player software once the OS is installed.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

DougieLawson

Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:57 pm

My RPi2B runs from a 16GB plain Raspbian microSD card. It shouldn't be any kind problem until you get over 32GB.

The only requirement is that the /boot stuff is in a primary FAT partition starting near the low numbered cylinders, defined as #1 in the MBR partition table and the card doesn't have a GUID partition table.

The boot loader in the GPU isn't very clever. Open SD, read first FAT partition, find bootcode.bin, load it and run.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

4NeverAPi

Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:45 am

jbudd wrote:Well I have a Pi model A happily running on a 16GB micro SD card.

Apparently you have to take care not to format larger, SDXC cards as exFAT. Maybe this post is relevant: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... matting.md
I read that post first. It takes about 2 hours to fully wipe and format the card, but it doesn't make any difference, if the card is larger than 8gb it won't boot. Has something been changed in the newer models?

4NeverAPi

Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:01 am

DougieLawson wrote:My RPi2B runs from a 16GB plain Raspbian microSD card. It shouldn't be any kind problem until you get over 32GB.

The only requirement is that the /boot stuff is in a primary FAT partition starting near the low numbered cylinders, defined as #1 in the MBR partition table and the card doesn't have a GUID partition table.

The boot loader in the GPU isn't very clever. Open SD, read first FAT partition, find bootcode.bin, load it and run.
Is there a way to make sure of where the files are placed on the card? If I just copy them from my PC, they might be getting fragmented. If I can't use a larger card, is there a way to boot from a USB hard disk? I know how difficult it is to have Linux install software to any place other than the boot drive, so I need a larger boot drive for software.

drgeoff

Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:27 am

4NeverAPi wrote: Is there a way to make sure of where the files are placed on the card? If I just copy them from my PC, they might be getting fragmented.
If the card has been formatted the files will not be getting fragmented. It "just works" for hundreds of thousands of other people. :)

4NeverAPi

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:00 am

drgeoff wrote: If the card has been formatted the files will not be getting fragmented. It "just works" for hundreds of thousands of other people. :)
There must be something wrong with the Pi or the card then. Is there a specific SD card that works best? The 32GB that I want to use is a SanDisk. Are the earlier models more compatible with larger cards?

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:42 am

Probably a silly question, but are you using an image writer (Win32diskimager or Rufus) to write the images to the SDCard? You mentioned that you are copying the files over, just wondering how you are getting the image from the PC download to the SDCard.
Account Inactive

Denngray

Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:03 am

4NeverAPi wrote:I just got a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B, but it won't boot with an SD card over 8 GB. Is this normal? I read through the formatting guides and I've tried a 32 and 64GB card. Formatted both as FAT32 using the tools in the guide. The only one that will boot is an 8GB card. Is there a special trick to using a larger card? I'd like to have more than 8 GB of storage, since that's just enough for the OS and not much else. I can't even install a web browser or media player software once the OS is installed.
If you install your OS from NOOBS it will take advantage of all SD Memory up to 32 gb, otherwise you need to config through command line in terminal.

If you install other 3rd party OS's such as Ubuntu Mate you need to resize your partition from the terminal command line.
follow directions below once you boot into your PI's os

sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk0

Delete the second partition (d, 2), then re-create it using the defaults (n, p, 2, enter, enter), then write and exit (w). Reboot the system, then issue:

sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2

The above command will run for a few minutes. You can then verify the filesystem size with df -h command.
Denn Gray Sysop of The Razz Pie BBS Telnet = razzpie.ddns.net:2300
port 2300 - Email me @ outwestbbs@gmail.com or denn@outwestbbs.com for any questions or advise on setting up Mystic BBS software. Website = razzpie.ddns.net

gordon77

Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:27 am

I use 32GB micro sd cards all the time (Sandisk)

I use Win32diskimager on a windows PC to write the Raspbian iso, I never format them.

Boot the Pi and expand to fill the cards, never had an issue.

Denngray

Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:04 pm

gordon77 wrote:I use 32GB micro sd cards all the time (Sandisk)

I use Win32diskimager on a windows PC to write the Raspbian iso, I never format them.

Yes but NOOBS is the easiest way for a beginner to install raspian.
other OS's won't use the full card memory without a little tweeking.
port 2300 - Email me @ outwestbbs@gmail.com or denn@outwestbbs.com for any questions or advise on setting up Mystic BBS software. Website = razzpie.ddns.net

4NeverAPi

Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:48 pm

Denngray wrote: If you install your OS from NOOBS it will take advantage of all SD Memory up to 32 gb, otherwise you need to config through command line in terminal.

If you install other 3rd party OS's such as Ubuntu Mate you need to resize your partition from the terminal command line.
follow directions below once you boot into your PI's os

sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk0

Delete the second partition (d, 2), then re-create it using the defaults (n, p, 2, enter, enter), then write and exit (w). Reboot the system, then issue:

sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2

The above command will run for a few minutes. You can then verify the filesystem size with df -h command.
I can't even get that far with any card over 8gb. It just sits there with the power and data lights solid, I don't think it even tries to read the card.

4NeverAPi

Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:27 am

Now it finally decides it likes this 32gb card. Same card I've formatted and re-loaded 15 times. I even left it to run overnight for 12 hours in Partition Master to wipe the partition table, then formatted it and put NOOBS back on. I didn't even re-format or reload the files this time. It just decided to work for no apparent reason, the only difference is it's plugged into a powered USB hub on my desktop instead of the iPad charger I was using. I'm not sure I'm sold on the Pi as a device for anything but a toy if it's this unreliable. I certainly wouldn't want to rely on it as a media player or even to try and learn programming. I don't know what it might do if I tried to actually do anything serious, like install or run a program, or get real crazy and connect it to my network and try to bring up Google.

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:35 am

OMF?
Account Inactive

Denngray

Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:46 am

4NeverAPi wrote:Now it finally decides it likes this 32gb card. Same card I've formatted and re-loaded 15 times. I even left it to run overnight for 12 hours in Partition Master to wipe the partition table, then formatted it and put NOOBS back on. I didn't even re-format or reload the files this time. It just decided to work for no apparent reason, the only difference is it's plugged into a powered USB hub on my desktop instead of the iPad charger I was using. I'm not sure I'm sold on the Pi as a device for anything but a toy if it's this unreliable. I certainly wouldn't want to rely on it as a media player or even to try and learn programming. I don't know what it might do if I tried to actually do anything serious, like install or run a program, or get real crazy and connect it to my network and try to bring up Google.
Make sure your power source is at least 2amps, I tried my pi on a 200ma for testing and it froze. 200ma = 0.2 amps
I then put my 2 amp PS and it works like a champ, I run a BBS on it so it runs 24/7.

drgeoff

Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:08 am

4NeverAPi wrote:I don't know what it might do if I tried to actually do anything serious, like install or run a program, or get real crazy and connect it to my network and try to bring up Google.
Perhaps it would take those things in its stride, just like millions of other RPis do.

jahboater

Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:10 am

I'd try another card, I suspect yours is either faulty or a fake. It should never take 12 hours to wipe the partition table (which is within the first 512 bytes) or even to format it. On Linux (raspbian) you should be able to wipe it with something like:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512 count=1
Do try the raspbian image (.img) method - it is a complete disk image that is simply copied onto the raw disk with dd or win32diskimager. There is NO need to format the SD card, or wipe it, first.

In my experience (and many others now that 7+million have been sold) the Pi is a very stable and reliable platform. Using an SD card for the main disk was inspired - its very cheap, tiny and disposable. Slower than a SATA connected SDD of course, but fast enough for most things.

DirkS

Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:30 am

jahboater wrote:I'd try another card, I suspect yours is either faulty or a fake.
I would say the power supply and or microUSB cable are the more likely suspects.
A lot of chargers are just not up to scratch and, from reports here in the past, that includes ipad chargers...

gordon77

Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:42 am

Denngray wrote:

Thats what I keep hearing, be see plenty of issues with NOOBS on here :roll:

drgeoff

Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:29 pm

gordon77 wrote:
Denngray wrote:

Thats what I keep hearing, be see plenty of issues with NOOBS on here :roll:
Most of the issues with NOOBS are caused by noobs (the new users) who can't/won't read the documentation and/or are ingrained with the Wintel ways of doing things.

Return to “Beginners”