Hubertrum

/etc/inttab typo

Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:14 pm

I have amended the etc/inittab file so that I boot up and go to LXDE automatically as per MAGPI 2 . Unfortunately I made a type entering /bin/logon where it should have been /bin/login. Now when I reboot it spots the error, waits 5 minutes, spots the error, waits 5 mins etc.

How do I get past this to login and correct the error?

jojopi

Re: /etc/inttab typo

Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:25 pm

If you only changed the tty1 line, then you should still have gettys running on the other virtual consoles, which you can reach with Ctrl+Alt+F2 to F6.

I am not at all convinced that editing inittab is a good way to automatically launch a GUI, by the way. The latest raspi-config in the recommended raspbian wheezy spindle image has an option to start a GUI in a more normal way.

Joe Schmoe

Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:32 pm

1) What does "spindle" mean?

2) What "more normal" way does it use?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

jdbennet

Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:36 pm

Spindle is a tool (set of scripts and paches) to roll raspian images.

Cant you just plug your SD card into a linux PC and edit the /etc/inittab file to be correct?

jojopi

Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:05 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:1) What does "spindle" mean?
2) What "more normal" way does it use?
It enables a display manager (lightdm) and configures it to auto-login. Which is definitely more normal than configuring a text auto-login and putting "startx" in your bash profile. And does not break SSH or the serial console.

I should probably say "the foundation's recommended raspbian wheezy image". As opposed to any raspbian wheezy images not built with spindle, targetting beginners, and including raspi-config.

Return to “Beginners”