Owumaro

Raspbian Wheezy auto startx

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I just received my Raspberry Pi, put the Raspbian Wheezy img on my SD card and plugged everything. It works fine.

Then I had the "starting" application to change the password, update etc. ; I selected the option "auto startx" (don't remember the exact name) and now when I boot it, the desktop starts automatically.

But then, the keyboard doesn't work anymore (nor does the mouse but I'm not even sure if it's compatible). I searched a little about it and it seems that an update is required, but I can't launch the starting thing again since I get the desktop automatically.

What should I do to avoid getting the desktop when I boot ?

Thanks,

Joe Schmoe

Re: Raspbian Wheezy auto startx

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:50 pm

Well, there are two approaches you could take to solving the overall problem:

1) Go back to using the command line only - that is not starting X on boot. This certainly has my support, since I'm a command line guy.

2) Figure out why your keyboard/mouse aren't working in X. This is usually a power problem (as, in fact, is just about every Pi problem).
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

khh

Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:11 pm

Probably a power problem, so check that first.

If not, SSH is enabled by default on the raspbian so unless you've changed that you can get access to the shell remotely. If you're on Windows download putty to connect over SSH.

Owumaro

Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:01 pm

Thanks guys for the answers, I tryed to plug it somewhere else and it almost works. I still lose the keyboard & mouse after a few seconds... I will try something else.

Return to “Beginners”