AlanJohnSmith

Help - for a complete, total novice

Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:40 am

Hi.

I need help in downloading the operating system to kick-start our new Raspberry Pi.

When I call myself a novice, you should consider me more inept at computing than the most inept person you know.

I'm afraid I don't understand the language being used, about images, torrents and so on. I've tried, and I don't get it.

So I'm stuck (and my 12-year old son is looking askance at me).

Can someone please tell me how to download the operating system, in absolutely bullet-proof language, assuming I understand nothing, in terms that say: "go to web site x, click on selection y, download the file and file it on your home computer, place your blank SD card into a slot, open file z, do this to it, drag it to this location," - that sort of thing?

I'll publicise the name of whoever helps me, on Twitter and my blog (if you want me to). It would be the least I can do.

I use Windows XP, have the right amount of free disk space, and a card reader hooked into a spare USB slot.

The Raspberry Pi power up, and we're ready to go!

Thanks in advance!

khh

Re: Help - for a complete, total novice

Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:09 am

Insert the SD card (looks something like this, color, logo text and numbers may differ) you're using into the SD-card reader (the slot on your computer where it fits). Windows XP should recognize it pop up an alert or something. Note what letter it has (D:\, E:\, F:\ etc), but you can otherwise ignore it.
If no pop-up comes up, open My Computer and see what letter the SD card has.

Open this site: http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/images ... spbian.zip
After 5 seconds it will ask you where you want to download the file. Doesn't matter where, just put it someplace you'll remember.
When it's finished, right-click on the file and select "Extract all". Just use the default folder
Now a new folder appears in the directory you're in.

Open this site: http://www.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownlo ... 06&t=5&i=1
After a few seconds it will ask you where to download a file. Put it in the same directory as the other (not essential, but it makes it easier)
When it's finished, right-click and "Extract all" to default path.

Go into the newly created folder and double-click on Win32DiskImager. A new program pops up. Click the folder icon and navigate to the directory created when you extracted the first file. Within it there's only one file you can choose, named something like 2012-07-15-wheezy-raspian.img. Choose it. Under device select the letter from before. It will probably have this value by default.

Click write. When it finishes, you're ready to boot your pi.

simonthepiman

Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi

I have a number of simple to use guides that may help on
www.simonthepiman.com

Simon :geek:
Simon

http://www.simonthepiman.com (Beginners guides)

AlanJohnSmith

Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:11 am

Hi. I "stick" when trying to extract the wheezy-raspbian files. My PC simply goes into "Not Responding mode and stalls. Simple as that.

Any suggestions?

The extraction for the Win32DiskImager seemed to go OK.)

khh

Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:06 pm

AlanJohnSmith wrote:Hi. I "stick" when trying to extract the wheezy-raspbian files. My PC simply goes into "Not Responding mode and stalls. Simple as that.

Any suggestions?
That's very strange. Either the download got corrupted, in which case you can download it again, or there's a bug with the windows zip extraction. So try download it again.

If that doesn't work, try extracting it using another program. If you don't have another program to extract zips on your computer, I suggest you download 7-zip. Installation should be very straight forward. Open the program, navigate to the .zip and open it. The contents will be displayed in the window. Press "Extract" and use the default directory.

aelsas

Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi,

I have sometimes the same problem on my "underpowered" notebook - unzipping of large files produces this message. But normally just waiting cures the problem.

How much RAM has your PC?

Best regards

Alex

Return to “Beginners”