RmatriX1218

Help needed to newbie

Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:21 am

I was looking for media device which can play HD videos with reasonable good sound quality in my 2.1 speaker setup.

I did some quick research on dedicated media players, Android sticks and RPI, I finally bought RPI2 due to mainly following advantage against other options,

1. Cheap and proven hardware / software combination (android sticks still struggles)
2. Can stream online contents (dedicated media player can't)
3. Option to make it multipurpose device with multiboot (like retro gaming)

I am not from computer field and never used linux before :( . So, I am struggling to prove my decision to go for RPI is correct :? .

Now my final goal is to get RPI working with multiboot option having following,
1. Volumio as primary OS where I can get best possible sound for my music
2. Openelec or OSMC or Xbian as secondary OS to play occasional videos.
And following are optional if possible,
3. Retropie as seconary OS for my kids to have some light gaming

However, struggling a bit to get above combination and It will be great help if somebody can help me get following issues resolved even with my very little knowledge of linux

1. WiFi
I don't have wired ethernet cable at my living room and looking for reliable WiFi connection only.
As edimax EW-7811Un is most proven, I have bought one.
But,
a) I tried Berryboot and it detected my WiFi SSID, but when try to connect, it always failed.
Then I used images of OpenElec and Raspbian to install with Berryboot. Installtion and getting dual boot working was quite easy.
However, both can see my SSID but WiFi connection always fails.

b) Then I tried NOOBS. However, noobs is unable to see even any SSID. I guess it even didn't detect my WiFi dongle.

c) I tried only Raspbian image and it worked correctly and was able to connect WiFi also. No issue. However, that was not my goal.

d) I tried stand alone image of OpenElec and OSMC. Again, I can see only SSID, but can't connect with WiFi.

So, any help on this?

2. I am not able to find ways to multiboot volumio with other OS. Anyone can help?

3. I could find some ways to create multiboot images, but all require linux knowledge. Is there any simpler way or windows tool?

drgeoff

Re: Help needed to newbie

Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:22 am

1b. NOOBS is not an OS. It is an OS installer and makes no pretence to enable WiFi dongles.

ame

Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:49 am

I recommend you should have one SD card for each OS/image. It's much easier.

In fact, I recommend one Pi for each of your applications. :)

RmatriX1218

Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:37 am

drgeoff wrote:1b. NOOBS is not an OS. It is an OS installer and makes no pretence to enable WiFi dongles.
Oh...that mean only ethernet to use NOOBS to install OS. I was not knowing this.
Is it possible I use NOOBS to install Raspbian. I guess it enable WiFi. And if not, it will be easier to do some troubleshooting and get WiFi working in Raspbian.
Then again use NOOBS to install OpenElec/SMPC. Will WiFi stay during new OS download if I choose this option? :? And WiFi stay after new installation?
ame wrote:I recommend you should have one SD card for each OS/image. It's much easier.

In fact, I recommend one Pi for each of your applications. :)
I guess it will be costlier and will loose purpose of RPI, which is meant to be cheap for your need :lol:

DougieLawson

Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:44 am

The NOOBS installer is a ONE-SHOT operation. You wire your Raspberry Pi to your router, boot NOOBS and choose ALL operating systems you want (and can fit) on that SDCard. Once it's done there's no going back. You can't install Raspbian today and add OpenELEC tomorrow.

Once you have a sensible operating system installed then your WiFi should work (as long as your WiFi dongle has the drivers available in the Linux kernel for the OS that you've installed). WiFi won't work until you disconnect the ethernet cable (in most cases).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

RmatriX1218

Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:45 am

One more question... :)
If I install Raspbian, OpenElec and Retropie through berryboot images..
Able to configure WiFi on Raspbian, will the configuration and WiFi stay for other OS or each requires different configuration and troubleshooting?

RmatriX1218

Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:52 am

DougieLawson wrote:The NOOBS installer is a ONE-SHOT operation. You wire your Raspberry Pi to your router, boot NOOBS and choose ALL operating systems you want (and can fit) on that SDCard. Once it's done there's no going back. You can't install Raspbian today and add OpenELEC tomorrow.

Once you have a sensible operating system installed then your WiFi should work (as long as your WiFi dongle has the drivers available in the Linux kernel for the OS that you've installed). WiFi won't work until you disconnect the ethernet cable (in most cases).
I know it is ONE-SHOT, but I think you can again go to NOOBS installer by pressing SHIFT key during boot option. At that time, there will be last OS (Raspbian) installed and I'll be on NOOBS installer. Question is, will Raspbian WiFi setup still exists during new NOOBS installation to allow download of other OS?
Offcourse, after next installation, I'll loss my last OS.

And since I can see SSID, I guess there is no driver issue. Isn't it?

DougieLawson

Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:57 am

If you use the NOOBS recovery system it will destroy ALL existing operating systems that are installed. There's no option to add another after the first install is committed.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

RmatriX1218

Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:41 am

DougieLawson wrote:If you use the NOOBS recovery system it will destroy ALL existing operating systems that are installed. There's no option to add another after the first install is committed.
In that case, Berryboot is what I should choose?
And one thing, when I was trying fresh setup with Berryboot, it could detect WiFi. From where did it got driver without OS? :shock:

What I have understood, in NOOBS setup, there is no kernel/driver in installer itself. Each OS have their own kernel/driver.
https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/wi ... -explained

What about Berryboot?

drgeoff

Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:31 pm

Each OS has no knowledge of what any other OS has configured. You need to configure WiFi in each OS. If you configure WiFi in Raspbian, it will not be automatically configured in another OS.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:08 pm

There is another way around the need to have a wired internet connection to install something other than Raspbian using NOOBS. It will require another machine, though.

1. Get a TP-Link TL-WR702N "Nano Router". (They cost about $20.)
2. Using a system that has an OS on it (Pi with Raspbian, PC, anything with an RJ-45 jack for Ethernet), configure the WR802N as client access device with a connection to the desired WiFi network.
3. Connect the (now configured) WR702N to the Pi you want to do the non-Raspbian system install on with NOOBS and boot it. NOOBS will now "think" it has a wired internet connection and you can proceed on that basis.
4. Once the OS is installed on the Pi, you can continue to use the WR702N, or you can deploy it elsewhere and switch to using a WiFi dongle.

drgeoff

Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:24 pm

You can get the same WiFi to ethernet functionality for much less.

Search ebay for '3G / 4G mini WiFi Router 3G mobile pocket wireless USB travel Hotspot'

or

' Wireless Mini Pocket Router Network WiFi Repeater 150Mbps Portable USB'

RmatriX1218

Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:23 am

I think simpler way will be to use SSH or VNC for headless installation of required OS with ethernet connection with router.
Though, I have never used this function, but I'll be able to manage with some extra effort.

But question remains unsolved,
1. How can I get WiFi working? My RPI can see SSID but can't connect. I don't think it's driver issue as SSID is visible.
2. Has anyone managed to get Volumio working as dual boot OS? How?

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:34 am

RmatriX1218 wrote:I think simpler way will be to use SSH or VNC for headless installation of required OS with ethernet connection with router.
Though, I have never used this function, but I'll be able to manage with some extra effort.
That creates a "bootstrap" problem. Sure...you can use ssh or VPN to that, but you have to be able to log in to do that, and the problem is that you can't configure WiFi for NOOBS to do the initial install (or to configure an OS with a direct image install). You have to find a way to create a usable connection without using the SD card being configured the first time, and that rules out WiFi.

sommersoft

Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:38 am

I mean this with the utmost understanding, and in no way infer judgement...

I think that with your self-admitted lack of experience, you should only focus on getting ONE OS installed and working for now. I remember when I first dipped my toes into the Linux/Unix based world after growing up on Windows. Overwhelming is probably the best word for that. Then I tried dual-boot...scary!

Having already gone through quite a few frozen-OS-time-to-start-over situations on the RPi, it really becomes easier each time. And, you become more comfortable as this happens. Admittedly, it can start a cycle of trying new things and locking up the install once again...death spiral! :o :)

Get Raspbian, or OSMC, or whatever running and play with it. Once you get comfortable, and have a list of resources, start over and move up to OSMC AND Raspbian on the same drive. Trust me, it will save some of your sanity.

I wish you the best of luck.

EDIT:
With regards to the WiFi. What is the exact message you are getting when it fails? We can't address that until we know what the error is. Off the top of my head, and not knowing your particular setup, I'm going to say it one of these 3 things: wrong WEP/WPA key (password, assume you use secured), you've maxed out DHCP number of allowed users (increase if this is the case), MAC filter is blocking the RPi (add the MAC if this is the case). One last thing: are you using a 2A power supply?
"We mock what we don't understand." - Dr. Trowbridge

RmatriX1218

Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:43 am

sommersoft wrote: Trust me, it will save some of your sanity.
I really liked your honest opinion.
sommersoft wrote: With regards to the WiFi. What is the exact message you are getting when it fails? We can't address that until we know what the error is. Off the top of my head, and not knowing your particular setup, I'm going to say it one of these 3 things: wrong WEP/WPA key (password, assume you use secured), you've maxed out DHCP number of allowed users (increase if this is the case), MAC filter is blocking the RPi (add the MAC if this is the case). One last thing: are you using a 2A power supply?
1. Yes, normally I have secured connection. But I also checked connection without any security and failed.
2. I have only 2 other users, hence max DHCP not possible.
3. I am not keeping MAC restriction in security.

I have max try with OpenElec/OSMC. What happent...
I can see my SSID, with text Idle below it.
When I click SSID, gives me option Connect and Refresh. I clicked connect.
Message below SSID is "association"
After some times, message below SSID is failed.

And, will it help to make RPI ip static? I can't see that option in OpenElec.

<Edit>
Your last question, I am using 2A power supply.

sommersoft

Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:46 pm

RmatriX1218 wrote:2. I have only 2 other users, hence max DHCP not possible.
It's still possible; I've set my max to 1 before. It depends on what your router setting is. But, if you are sure that it isn't hitting MAX users, then we'll leave that alone.
RmatriX1218 wrote:I have max try with OpenElec/OSMC. What happent...
I can see my SSID, with text Idle below it.
When I click SSID, gives me option Connect and Refresh. I clicked connect.
Message below SSID is "association"
After some times, message below SSID is failed.

And, will it help to make RPI ip static? I can't see that option in OpenElec.
I don't have any personal experience with OpenElec/OSMC, so I went and did some reading. It seems that the OSMC GUI Network Setup has had some problems. They seemed to fix the issues for some people/WiFi dongles, but not 100%. There are conflicting results on your particular dongle. :?

Have you tried to run any of the manual commands to see if you can connect manually?

This post seems to have a concise step-by-step on OSMC WiFi manual setup. Again, I have no OSMC experience, so I can't gauge accuracy.
Last edited by sommersoft on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We mock what we don't understand." - Dr. Trowbridge

RmatriX1218

Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:34 am

RmatriX1218 wrote:
sommersoft wrote: <Edit>
Your last question, I am using 2A power supply.
I need to correct myself.

I was under impression of having 2A power supply.
Yesterday, I checked again and it is 1A supply.

Then I tried another power supply from my tablet which reads 5.35V 2A. However, results were same, couldn't connect WiFi.
And before someone comment, I will buy 2A power supply soon :D

sam nazarko

Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:42 am

I don't have any personal experience with OpenElec/OSMC, so I went and did some reading. It seems that the OSMC GUI Network Setup has had some problems. They seemed to fix the issues for some people/WiFi dongles, but not 100%. There are conflicting results on your particular dongle. :?
At the time of writing, we are not aware of any issues with the Network Setup options in My OSMC or the preseeder which runs if the Windows, Mac or Linux installers are run.

Your symptoms suggest a power issue. If you check 'dmesg' and see lots of plug in and plug out events, it means the power is dropping and then re-detecting the device.

Your WiFi dongle is supported on OSMC. Sometimes we need to add additional vids, but if you are seeing an SSID, then this is not the issue.

I am quite interested in this problem however. If you're willing to run the following commands after attempting to establish a connection, it would be greatly appreciated:

[*]Attempt connection via My OSMC -> Network Setup
[*]When it fails, attach an Ethernet cable
[*]Go to My OSMC -> Logging
[*]Upload all logs. Post the URL you see on screen.

This will let us identify what's going on

Cheers

Sam

RmatriX1218

Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:05 am

sam nazarko wrote:
At the time of writing, we are not aware of any issues with the Network Setup options in My OSMC or the preseeder which runs if the Windows, Mac or Linux installers are run.

Your symptoms suggest a power issue. If you check 'dmesg' and see lots of plug in and plug out events, it means the power is dropping and then re-detecting the device.

Your WiFi dongle is supported on OSMC. Sometimes we need to add additional vids, but if you are seeing an SSID, then this is not the issue.

I am quite interested in this problem however. If you're willing to run the following commands after attempting to establish a connection, it would be greatly appreciated:

Cheers

Sam
Nice to see your intersest in helping me out.

However, there are few things to share,
1. In the process of lots of trial and error, right now I am on Xbian
2. I don't have ethernet cable extended where I have connected my RPI. And where I have ethernet, I don't have any display. This is also reason why not been able to resolve issue
3. I am not computer professional and linux is first time for me
4. I have very little time left to experiement things after returning home from work. So, my reply after trying your suggestions may be delayed

And I have also started doubting on power supply...
I have following things connected to USB,
1. WiFi adapter
2. USB WiFi mini keyboard mouse combo (meassy RC12)
3. A pen drive

Used power supply lying around at my house, which is 5V 1A.

RmatriX1218

Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:57 am

I guess it's related to power supply issue.
I get very frequent rainbow square at upper right....

What is recommended supply, 5V 2A or higher?

drgeoff

Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:57 am

Yes, that small square is a sure sign of power shortage.

If your PSU has a USB socket the USB to micro-USB cable is just as important. Some are too thin, too long or use wet string instead of real copper.

RmatriX1218

Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:48 am

sam nazarko wrote:

Cheers

Sam
OK, now I have changed my power supply to 2A and no more rainbow square. So, any issue with poor power supply is eliminated.

I have changed OS from xbian to OSMC, assimung it more robust and better support.

However, I am still finding WiFi issue. But this time with bit surprise.
Time in OSMC gets syncronized with router so I guess it gets connectedto router.
Many times, it can see ip address also.
In router also, I can see it connected.
But no internet and when I go to My OSMC -> Network -> WiFi and click SSID and enter password, I get eitther connection failed or crash screen (unhappy emoji face) and goes to console.
You may be asking log, but I don't have ethernet connection and I have not yet digged out how to get log.
If everything fails, I'll try to get and upload log.

Return to “Beginners”