Wall-e

Rechargeable battery

Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:19 pm

Hello, i am trying to make a raspberry pi laptop and i have everything except a rechargeable battery pack, i need one with 2 usb ports that gives out 1 amp through each port and is not to expensive.
any help is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Wall-e on Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Who the heck is Kernel panic and why is he killing my computer!

MattHawkinsUK

Re: Rechargeable battery

Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:29 pm

I've used a number of Power banks with the Raspberry Pi. It really depends on the the total capacity and the weight you are after.

I quite like the RAVPower RP-PB13 14000mAh, Lumsing PBJ-6200 6200mAh or Lumsing LUM-008-001 10400mAh "Harmonica”.

I've got blog posts on them all in my Power section. I used the PBJ-6200 in my HDMIPi build as it fitted nicely inside the case with a slight modification to the spacers. I was sent them for review but I use them for a variety of other tasks and they are all going strong.

They all have 2 USB ports.

You could go down the route of bare LiPo batteries and charging circuits that gets a bit more complicated as you need to be careful you are charging the battery properly.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

klricks

Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:37 pm

Wall-e wrote:Hello, i am trying to make a raspberry pi laptop and i have everything accept a rechargeable battery pack, i need one with 2 usb ports that gives out 1 amp through each port and is not to expensive.

Before you can choose a battery you need to decide how many minutes of run time your need.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Wall-e

Sun May 29, 2016 1:52 am

Alright thanks.

tweak42

Sun May 29, 2016 9:04 am

Wall-e wrote:Hello, i am trying to make a raspberry pi laptop and i have everything accept a rechargeable battery pack, i need one with 2 usb ports that gives out 1 amp through each port and is not to expensive.
Beware some usb batteries cut off their output power completely or momentarily when charging. So if your Pi is running when you connect the battery to the wall charger, it will crash or reboot. There's been some discussion which models do and do not exhibit this behavior, I can't seem to find them at the moment.

blaablaaguy

Sun May 29, 2016 7:02 pm

klricks wrote:

Before you can choose a battery you need to decide how many minutes of run time your need.
W also need to know how much current your ststem is drawing
This signature intentionally left blank.

Wall-e

Tue May 31, 2016 5:23 pm

Could i use a power bank that detects how many amps the device needs or would that not work.

Return to “Beginners”