drmischievous

Dual Boot

Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:41 pm

Hi

I have just purchased a pi 2 (after enjoying my time with a pi 1!) but am really struggling with installing/running both Raspbian and OSMC. I have downloaded the latest Noobs software (1.4.1) but there is no option to install OSMC. I have read many posts that have said that OSMC is now in Noobs but all I can see in my version is Raspbian, Data Partition and Raspbian Boot to Scratch. I have downloaded OSMC and installed it but it just over wrote the Noobs software so I have reformatted and reinstalled Noobs so am back to square one! Can some explain in simple terms ;-) how to install OSMC so I can effectively dual boot into two OS?

klricks

Re: Dual Boot

Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:15 am

In NOOBS If you want to install anything other than Raspbian then you must have a wired internet connection to the RPi before installation.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

drmischievous

Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:56 am

Ahhh! I've been using a wireless connection! I'll start again with a wired connection and thanks for the link :roll:

drmischievous

Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:35 am

klricks wrote:In NOOBS If you want to install anything other than Raspbian then you must have a wired internet connection to the RPi before installation.
Thank you klricks that worked perfectly! Out of curiosity why do you get additional installation options on a wired connection and not on a wireless one? Thanks again for your help (and great link by the way)

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:56 am

drmischievous wrote:
klricks wrote:In NOOBS If you want to install anything other than Raspbian then you must have a wired internet connection to the RPi before installation.
Thank you klricks that worked perfectly! Out of curiosity why do you get additional installation options on a wired connection and not on a wireless one? Thanks again for your help (and great link by the way)
NOOBS by default only has Raspbian included, if you want to install other Operating System then the software
needs to be downloaded from the Internet, hence why you need an active internet connection over ethernet ;)
Retired disgracefully.....

Joe Schmoe

Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:23 am

drmischievous wrote:Thank you klricks that worked perfectly! Out of curiosity why do you get additional installation options on a wired connection and not on a wireless one?
Because ethernet works "out of the box" - the software setup to get an ethernet connection going is straightforward. Wireless, OTOH, is not - you have to fiddle with drivers (especially if the user has an odd or non-standard Wifi adapter installed), and a lot of this and that - and it generally requires user intervention to get everything setup right. As is evidenced by the number of "My Wifi doesn't work" threads we see in these forums...

The implementers of NOOBS elected not to go down that path, so they support ethernet only.

P.S. There exist "Wifi to wired" adapters. I've got one; it works pretty well. I've never used it with NOOBS, but I assume it would work.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

jack.chaney

Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:34 pm

I feel for anyone that has wanted to implement a "feature" on a well established software package. NOOBS and by extension Raspbian are what can be considered well established, even though the Raspberry Pi and their users are still relatively new in the computer market. What makes it "well established" is that it is the go-to solution, and a one stop answer for getting the new Raspberry Pi up and running. Now to present the problem, how to make an improvement to the system, especially when there are tons of technologies that would also like support. The case here is wireless. The answer is, there is not a solution to this problem. What must be done is the developing team "selects a winner" a single device with clear and specific attributes, then solves that problem, and provides it as an option.

If the developing team practices good programming techniques and writes the code so it can be adaptable, and is highly configurable, then it would be possible to add some additional configurations to work with another device. Then little by little a general case solution is developed. The classic "eat an elephant" problem, never all at once, always a bite at a time.

Jack

Return to “Beginners”