Krassegrand
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:20 pm
Location: Halmstad Sweden

More video formats on omxplayer?

Sat May 30, 2015 5:28 pm

Is there any plans for the possibility to play .flv-files and .iso-files on the omxplayer?
I have tried to install vlc but it seems to not play the files I want to see. ;)
Used for the files it plays the omxplayer is very good! Nice picture, smooth flow and no freezing. It would be great if it worked on all other formats as well.

Jörgen

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: More video formats on omxplayer?

Sat May 30, 2015 5:59 pm

I've played SD iso files thorough Kodi just fine. I think it uses DVD player or something like that to play them. Not sure about flv.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Krassegrand
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:20 pm
Location: Halmstad Sweden

Re: More video formats on omxplayer?

Sun May 31, 2015 6:05 am

I am trying to install kodi

There is a lot of error messages, the last is these.
Failed to fetch http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/rasp ... _armhf.deb Unable to connect to mirrordirector.raspbian.org:http:
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

I have run apt-get update just before install kodi and just after.

How do I know if it is installed?
how do I start it?



pi@raspberrypi ~ $ kodi
bash: kodi: command not found
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ --fix-missing
bash: --fix-missing: command not found
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ kodi --fix-missing
bash: kodi: command not found
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ exit

Krassegrand
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:20 pm
Location: Halmstad Sweden

Re: More video formats on omxplayer?

Sun May 31, 2015 6:15 am

I found this! (http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Ko ... tributions)

sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kodi


I only used the 2 last lines to install
What do the 2 first lines do?

Jörgen

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20194
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: More video formats on omxplayer?

Sun May 31, 2015 8:31 am

Krassegrand wrote:I found this! (http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Ko ... tributions)

sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kodi


I only used the 2 last lines to install
What do the 2 first lines do?

Jörgen
PPA are for x86 Linux and you have asked similar questions before ;)
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

johndavies
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Re: More video formats on omxplayer?

Sun May 31, 2015 9:09 am

You can enter a standalone version of kodi which will run on Raspbian. You will find details at http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 66&t=99866. This one was posted by gkreidl. Have you considered buying the codecs which will allow you to run mpeg2?

Krassegrand
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:20 pm
Location: Halmstad Sweden

Re: More video formats on omxplayer?

Sun May 31, 2015 11:17 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:PPA are for x86 Linux and you have asked similar questions before ;)
Maybe Raspberry is not for me!

Krassegrand
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:20 pm
Location: Halmstad Sweden

Re: More video formats on omxplayer?

Sun May 31, 2015 11:20 am

johndavies wrote:Have you considered buying the codecs which will allow you to run mpeg2?
Is mpeg2 the problem?
I was asking about .flv and .iso!

Jörgen

Krassegrand
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:20 pm
Location: Halmstad Sweden

Re: More video formats on omxplayer?

Sun May 31, 2015 11:21 am

johndavies wrote:You can enter a standalone version of kodi which will run on Raspbian. You will find details at http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 66&t=99866. This one was posted by gkreidl. Have you considered buying the codecs which will allow you to run mpeg2?
That guide looks really good.

gkreidl
Posts: 5999
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: More video formats on omxplayer?

Sun May 31, 2015 12:01 pm

omxplayer uses ffmpeg for container (file, url) access and so supports almost any kind of file format; flv is one if the few exceptions (and should vanish anyway).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “Beginners”