Corsasri

Can this be done using winscp.

Fri May 15, 2015 2:21 pm

Can this be done. I want to view the content of a connected usb sick plugged in to the pi. Using winscp. But can't seem to find the usb stick in winscp. Or is it because the usb contines a copy of raspian.

topguy

Re: Can this be done using winscp.

Fri May 15, 2015 2:30 pm

This can be done.

Something has to mount the usb-stick after you put it into the Pi. If there is some auto-mounting happening then the usb-stick is most likely mounted in "/media" directory. If there is no auto-mounting happening you have to do it yourself.

If you access your Pi with WinSCP I assume you log into the "pi" user, and WinSCP will most likely have access to files located in "/home/pi" and its subdirectories. I dont remember if you can browser to "/" with WinSCP, but its normally possible with commandline scp.

Corsasri

Fri May 15, 2015 2:36 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply. Will give it a go.

mad-hatter

Fri May 15, 2015 3:17 pm

Hello,
topguy wrote: I dont remember if you can browser to "/" with WinSCP, but its normally possible with commandline scp.
Yes, you can, just tried.

Regards

JimmyN

Fri May 15, 2015 3:53 pm

If you have Putty installed along with WinSCP you can click on the Putty icon in the WinSCP toolbar and it will open Putty with the same login you're using in WinSCP. Then you can use sudo to mount a drive, use apt-get, or do whatever from a commandline.

If you make a change, like mounting a drive or creating a new file using Putty you'll need to hit the 'Refresh' icon in WinSCP to see the updated info, otherwise it will appear that the drive hasn't been mounted or the file isn't there. At least for me it doesn't automatically update a directory or file list I'm in when another program makes changes, it requires a "Refresh".

Corsasri

Fri May 15, 2015 5:30 pm

Ok I need a bit more help.
Where are my wifi settings located. As I need to copy the settings over to a smaller operating system. And what other files are needed to get a wifi connection. As my pi is a a+ so no net work cable port.

Return to “Beginners”