Converting img for Berryboot - problem

Fri May 08, 2015 11:00 pm

I want to put the Rasp Pi image for Riscos found on this site in Downloads into Berryboot.I have read that I have to squashfs this image to do so. I installed squashfs and also kpartx to Raspbian. I am following the steps on two different sites to do this - both with the same steps. The image is on a USB stick in the Raspberry Pi 2 B and mounted and visible in file manager.

I am on the terminal and in the directory for my USB DISK and got the map data for the image -
Two add map loop come up - the larger is
add map loop0p4 (254:1) 0 3741686 linear /dev/loop0 98314
The instructions say to use the larger so this is the one.

Next in the terminal I enter the following as shown substituting my loop -

sudo mount /dev/mapper/loop0p4 /mnt

I get back this
"mount: you must specify the filesystem type"

There is nothing about this in the instructions. Any help is appreciated.

The link to the page I am following is -
http://www.howtogeek.com/141325/how-to- ... berryboot/

Thanks!

Re: Converting img for Berryboot - problem

Fri May 08, 2015 11:26 pm

Perhaps I should add this also to the above.

The directions just say to enter this line to start =

sudo kpartx -av image_you_want_to_convert.img
I made changed image_you_want_to_convert.img to riscos.img which is what I named the image file to shorten it.

This line returns
failed to stat () riscos,img

So I figured that it could not find the image file - I tried adding media/USB Disk/ in front of riscos.img and that did not work either.

I changed directory in the terminal to /media and then to /USB Disk - ran a dir to make sure I was in the right place and from that directory proceeded.

I remained in that directory when I did what I posted above. Just wondering if that is part of the problem... ???

Searching the problem I posted above, no one seems to have a problem getting the sudo mount line to work.

I started out many years ago on a mainframe computer well before there was such a thing as a home pc (no display - just a big typewriting input on rolls of paper) and went from there to DOS and then on the usual path with WIndows from there. It has been a long time since I have worked without a GUI and in a terminal. I really would like to get the hang of this. Thanks for any help!

xtian170174

Re: Converting img for Berryboot - problem

Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:20 am

...I'm coming back to this too, bidding to resolve the issue of mksquashfs>riscos.img>berryboot = "Emergency recovery shell activated" [instead of booting the os]...

I'm posting about it on, viewtopic.php?f=29&t=110472&p=778835#p778835

I've been able to convert the riscos image file and specify the folder to call from in attempts with mksquashfs, the result is the same however and I guess it means either there's no possibility here, or that it is a specific set of command line switches instructing mksquashfs to perform a certain way.

Trial and error is therefore the best possibility I'm entertaining presently - but it's time consuming, so I just keep coming back to it when I can.

One must surmise either berryboot's or riscos's creators are the best people to ask.
Mr. Christian Edward Hilton Esq.
Founder Chairman - AwesMauler Technology Corporation
Purveyors of already smaller until you knew you had it in think

Return to “Beginners”