OttovanZanten

What's up with the PiStore?

Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:53 pm

Hi

I was trying to download OpenArena earlier. I know it's in the PiStore because I saw that in the browser using my W8.1 PC.
So I turned on my Pi 2B and went into the PiStore and no OpenArena.
So I used apt-get install openarena and got the wrong version that has EPIC framerate problems.
Then I removed it and installed it via the pistore, because 'after it downloaded it was available in the pistore.
Okay... weird... whatever, so I installed it and I noticed I had lost over a GB in storage space.
That seemed a bit large to me but whatever.
I then downloaded the Pi Edu Manual and lost another 600 megs.
So I went into the store and saw that the Pi Edu Manual was 1 GB in size. Woah!
So I immediately deinstalled that.
Then I clicked on OpenArena to see how large it was and it said 389 MB. That seemed reasonable.
But wait... where did the other 600 mb in that GB go? How did a 389 MB download cost me 1 GB in space?

Then I rebooted to see if that would help.
Nope still pretty much exactly the same storage space left. So I opened the store and wanted to doublecheck the install size of OpenArena.
It is now, according to the pistore, 389 GB large. Yes. GB
Then I checked if LibreOffice might have something to do with it. It is possible I guess that I forgot I also installed Libre Office in the mean time and I forgot to take that into consideration. I'm 98% sure I had already installed it before so it's irrelevant, but I wanted to make sure.
Pi store says that Libre Office is 498 kb.
What? It took me 10 minutes to install or so. It's gotta be bigger then that right?

So can anybody tell me if there's a common problem with storage space missing randomly?
And where I can find actual download sizes of packages you can find in the pistore?

I hope there's not a thousand typo's in here because the forum is making this pre-installed browser trip out quite badly.

DougieLawson

Re: What's up with the PiStore?

Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:12 pm

Your 600MBs is hidden away in
/usr/local/bin/indiecity/InstalledApps/openarena/Full/

There's a script in there oa.sh that should get the PiStore copy of Open Arena running.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

OttovanZanten

Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:55 pm

Thanks that helped.

However I'm still very confused why you have to do apt-get install openarena (to install a non-working version of Open Arena) before you can find and download Open Arena in the pi store. Why would they make it so hard to find an app in the Pi Store?
How do I find out what software is actually available if some of it is hidden?

I've tried on different computers but only with one account.
It ís possible that my account has some restrictions and that's why I can't find it in the store. But that would be equally strange.

CaptSunset

Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:00 pm

Otto, is it possible you didn't run apt-get update first?

OttovanZanten

Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:27 pm

I had updated and upgraded before launching the store.
I reinstalled the OS several times because of... the drama I described in a different topic. But now that I installed it I updated and upgraded again and at this time I still can't find OpenArena in the Pi store.
Not untill I download it with apt-get.

But this is not a Pi-related issue. It's just that it's usually not displayed in the store. Look in the store in the browser on your normal desktop and look for Open Arena. If you are not logged in you will not find it. If you are logged in with my account you will not find it. If you are logged in with my account áfter installing the version that gives you 0.1 FPS you will find it.

Return to “Beginners”