Just install Raspbian without NOOBS to use full SD Card

Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:23 am

I am sorry if this has been asked before. Very first time using Raspberry Pi and first boot. I just installed Raspbian through NOOBS and when I try to use expand rootfs I get the usual message that the tool is not available because of NOOBS. I have a 16 mb SD card. IF I reformat the SD card and start all over again, can I just download Raspbian to the formatted card, boot and hopefully it installs and then will I be able to resize the partition to the full card?

Thanks in advance...

DougieLawson

Re: Just install Raspbian without NOOBS to use full SD Card

Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:36 am

The NOOBS OS installer has already expanded things to use the full 16GB.

Have a look with a df -h command.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

rpdom

Re: Just install Raspbian without NOOBS to use full SD Card

Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:42 am

If you installed through NOOBS, then the rootfs is already expanded to the maximum size and you don't need to use the option to expand it.

Installing Raspbian from an image file will give you more space after you have used that option.
1775 wrote:I have a 16 mb SD card
I hope that is a 16 GB SD card ;) (Although I do use a 16MB card for some things)
IF I reformat the SD card and start all over again, can I just download Raspbian to the formatted card, boot and hopefully it installs and then will I be able to resize the partition to the full card?
Yes.

If you are using Windows you should use the SD Card Association formatter with the Full Format option and Size Adjust on before trying to write the image to the card. Both of those are very important.

If you are using Linux, then just dd the file onto the card.

Return to “Beginners”