metalj

Icedove email app

Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:36 am

I saw a video that said if you type sudo apt-get install icedove you can have Thunderbird email for the pi. Has anyone tried it on the rpi2? Is it pointless now that the rpi2 has more horsepower for browser email? Anyone recommend something better?
Backspace 28 times :)

buja

Re: Icedove email app

Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:22 am

sudo apt-get install icedove
Yes, that works. It will install Icedove, the unbranded Debian version of Thunderbird.

Icedove works well on my Pi 2.
Claws-mail (sudo apt-get install claws-mail) is a lightweight alternative, I use that on my Pi 1.

Setting up an email adress in Icedove is easy, because it configures most things automatically. With Claws-mail you have to do that yourself.

Fidelius

Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:17 am

metalj wrote:I saw a video that said if you type sudo apt-get install icedove you can have Thunderbird email for the pi.
Like Buja already said, Thunderbird aka Icedove in Debian (apt-get), runs well on the Pi2.
Also Thunderbird's nice calendar addon named Lightning works well on the Pi2, it's called Iceowl in Debian (apt-get).

Due to some "JavaScript thing on the ARM" in the Mozilla programs, and Firefox and Thunderbird using much JavaScript also internally, both apps don't run as fast as you would expect on the Pi, but on the Pi2 they're still useable well.

P.S: Syncing the Firefox on other machines with Firefox/Iceweasel on the Pi works, too. :-)

CaptSunset

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:44 pm

"Also Thunderbird's nice calendar addon named Lightning works well on the Pi2, it's called Iceowl in Debian (apt-get)."

It is a nice add-on!
fyi just 'iceowl' will not be found by apt-get; you need to name it as 'iceowl-extension'

Return to “Beginners”